Should I get an SB-900?

Thinking of selling one of my SB-800's to help fund this bad boy. Anyone using the 900 yet and is it worth the money? I shoot DX only right now. But the flash has to have more than just FX benefits, yes?

C

Casket28

500 bucks for a flash i think is a bit much. The only reason, that i could possibly see getting it, would be the overheat protection as far as shooting multiple frames, in quick succession

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What images are you trying to capture that you cannot get with the SB800?

Lawrence
Nothing specific. I like the fact it can direct flash out to 200 mm and I also HATE the SB-800's interface. Would like to use the 900 as the master with my SB-800.

I picked up a pair of SB-900's at FedEx today. Without a doubt this flash is far better than the SB-800. I was pleasantly surprised after wondering for weeks how much better the SB-900 could be compared to the SB-800.

The user interface is terrific. You won't have to struggle any more. Programming the SB-800 always reminded me of how I had to deal with bad VCR design in the 1980's. It was frustrating to program those things. Even when you learned how to program the unit a week later you forget something. The same holds true for the SB-800. Not so with the SB-900, however. It is so easy to operate that you might never open the user manual.

The recycle time is superb, too. At this point I am planning to order more SB-900's and sell all of my SB-800's. I see no reason to use them any more. The SB-900 is that good!

I picked up a pair of SB-900's at FedEx today. Without a doubt this flash is far better than the SB-800. I was pleasantly surprised after wondering for weeks how much better the SB-900 could be compared to the SB-800.

The user interface is terrific. You won't have to struggle any more. Programming the SB-800 always reminded me of how I had to deal with bad VCR design in the 1980's. It was frustrating to program those things. Even when you learned how to program the unit a week later you forget something. The same holds true for the SB-800. Not so with the SB-900, however. It is so easy to operate that you might never open the user manual.

The recycle time is superb, too. At this point I am planning to order more SB-900's and sell all of my SB-800's. I see no reason to use them any more. The SB-900 is that good!
Thanks NPA2008. Your words and reviews I've read have helped me make up my mind to pull the trigger. Got a very good deal at buydig.com for 449.95. Should be here Saturday. Thanks to you all for your views.

Very well stated. I agree 100% and sold both SB-800's for the same reasons.

I definitely agree that the UI is way better than the SB800. The recycle time is excellent and the gel holder system is a great improvement. The change in WB with filters attached works as advertised, but I still don't see that it is worth another $150.

I ordered the SB-900, however, I plan to keep my 800. You never know when you need another remote flash and the SB-800 will function as a remote flash while also provide a good back up for the 900. My main reason for the SB-900 is for the ease in operations and its extended range. I am also interested in what firmware updates will be available in the future. The price tag is a hard pill, but if the future updates increase its functions, it may be worth it in the long run.

I ordered the SB-900, however, I plan to keep my 800. You never know when you need another remote flash and the SB-800 will function as a remote flash while also provide a good back up for the 900. My main reason for the SB-900 is for the ease in operations and its extended range. I am also interested in what firmware updates will be available in the future. The price tag is a hard pill, but if the future updates increase its functions, it may be worth it in the long run.
Agreed. Look at what Nikon has done for their other flagship products like the D3. Many firmware updates and now and optional memory (for 500.00!) upgrade. Hopefully Nikon will pass along good firmware updates for the SB-900 as well. I am also keeping my SB-800 for the same reasons you state Bill.

the 900 will benefit DX users more than it will benefit FX users actually. I got one in addition to my 800, not to replace it so I can use CLS when i don't have my PWs with me. I can now leave the 800 and its retarded interface in remote mode most of the time. they work well together. I wouldn't reccomend selling the 800 to fund the 900 unless your really dying for the DX corrected auto zoom, faster cycle, or 200mm tele. this is because it would cost the same to get a second sb-800 and leave one in remote and the other in commander.

SB800/900 pictures comparation

Can anyone with a SB800 and SB900 take some pictures of static subject with some background (ie portrait) using the SB800 flash with this environment:

- Bounce up the ceiling and using the stock (Nikon supplied) diffuser

Repeat the above with the SB900 with same environment (bounce and stock diffuser) but with CW, STD, then EVEN illumination pattern mode.

Just want to see how the CW, STD, EVEN illumination pattern in the SB900 compared to a SB800.

Thanks in advance.

so show us something you take with them that is far better than you could have done . . .
I don't believe you'll get any samples proving the superiority of the sb900. The selling feature seems to be a more intuitive interface. But once an sb600 or 800 is in remote mode, they're every bit as easy to use as an sb900.

100% agree Frank. It's a new expensive toy! Can't really do anything you can't do with a SB-800! LOL
except take another shot sooner. or not have to use modifiers as often. or switch between modes easily. or display more critical information to the operator.

as someone who shoots for enjoyment, gear is not always about getting maximum image quality. a lot of the time, it is about how enjoyable it is to use it. if it makes my hobby more fun, its an improvement, even if it has no effect on image quality. hec, some go out of their way to use gear that hurts their image quality just because they enjoy it. pulling out a nostalgic camera for instance. using pocket wizards does not improve the quality of my photos over generic ebay remotes even though they certainly cost a lot more. but I'm not about to save some dollars and let my moment of enjoyment get ruined by frustrating gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone with a SB800 and SB900 take some pictures of static subject with some background (ie portrait) using the SB800 flash with this environment:

- Bounce up the ceiling and using the stock (Nikon supplied) diffuser

Repeat the above with the SB900 with same environment (bounce and stock diffuser) but with CW, STD, then EVEN illumination pattern mode.

Just want to see how the CW, STD, EVEN illumination pattern in the SB900 compared to a SB800.

Thanks in advance.
This would be a good exercise - I may try to do it this weekend. I also want to see the difference when zoomed out to 200 mm.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom