Should I get the Nikon 18-200 if...

I have a Nikon 18-55vr and a Nikon 55-200vr, I don't like switching lenses all the time so I want to invest in an 18-200. My questions are:

• Is it worth it?
  • Are you losing quality when you get the larger range?
  • Is the Tamron 18-200 just as good for the lower price tag?

Thanks in advance!!! :smile:

If you don't like switching then it's no-brainer. You do sacrifice image quality a bit, but the lens is a fine performer. Since the sweet spot is around f8-f11, I have been using it for pro work with portable studio lights since that aperture corresponds with the 1/320 sync speed of my D300 for outdoor stuff.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have a Nikon 18-55vr and a Nikon 55-200vr, I don't like switching lenses all the time so I want to invest in an 18-200. My questions are:

• Is it worth it?

Would help a little to know what body you are shooting, but the 18-200 VRII is little doubt a step up from the 55-200 kit lens and probably near the same as the 18-55. Can't speak to the Tamron option though.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thom, I usually shoot a variety of situations, landscapes, people, and telephoto nature/sports. That's why I would like the range - but not have to switch lenses. ;)

-Brendan

Jon, Thanks for the advice - and nice photography! - It seems like the 18-200 would work fine for me.

-Brendan

Thom, I usually shoot a variety of situations, landscapes, people, and telephoto nature/sports. That's why I would like the range - but not have to switch lenses. ;)

-Brendan
It will do just fine for that kind of work.

• Is it worth it?

Hi,

I used to own the 18-200mm VR original lens. It is a nice walk-around/travel lens. There are compromises using a "do it all" lens, but
sometimes you just need to live with those.
There is distortion on the wide end- you can fix with an editing program like Photoshop, and the at the longest telephoto end 200mm it's soft. Sometimes adding sharpening doesn't help that, but most the time you'll get a nice photograph. As was stated before me shooting at f/8-f11 it produces lovely images. I used this lens for mountain hiking and travel. Here are a some of my favorites:

Islet Ahjumawi by CircadianReflections Photography, on Flickr

Peach Tulips Close Up by CircadianReflections Photography, on Flickr

Rose Bud Close Up by CircadianReflections Photography, on Flickr

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." ~ Henry David Thoreau by CircadianReflections Photography, on Flickr

Today I don't use a do it all lens. I prefer less lens distortion and sharp photos at the telephoto long end. I don't switch lenses often b/c I now carry two cameras.

Deborah

Real Name
Randy
If you don't like switching then it's no-brainer. You do sacrifice image quality a bit, but the lens is a fine performer. Since the sweet spot is around f8-f11, I have been using it for pro work with portable studio lights since that aperture corresponds with the 1/320 sync speed of my D300 for outdoor stuff.

http://www.jonimages.com/img/s9/v97/p1598606706-5.jpg

http://www.jonimages.com/img/s9/v88/p1598614356-5.jpg
Def pro IQ on all of those

You are the proof it's the shooter and not the gear

I love my 18-200 VR and have gotten fantastic shots with it in situations when it shouldn't have worked well (low light at 200mm). It all comes down to technique.

Deborah,

Thanks for the reply, lots of great information! Also great images, I really think I will jump for this lens.

-Brendan

Is it worth it?
If you don't like switching lenses all the time then yes it's worth it.

Are you losing quality when you get the larger range?
Compared to the 18-55 and 55-200, not much. Most people won't be able to tell the difference. I've been a little harsh on the 18-200 a few years ago, but I recently reviewed my shots with it and I was surprised that they are actually pretty good. It is sharp, but don't expect exceptional bokeh or anything like that. It's a great lens for what it's supposed to do. The only other thing is that at close range, it's not a 200mm. This is very noticeable, especially if you compare it to the 55-200. I still recommend it, though.

I was in the exact same spot as you awhile ago but a bit different. I bought the 18-200mm as my first and only lens with I bought the D7000. I bought it for the exact same reason you say, its got a great range and dont need to switch lenses.

For myself after having that lens for a year I went back and reviewed my images and found that most of the images I took were in the 18-70 range, mostly landscapes etc. I was pretty happy with the lense and its took nice images, particularly between F6-11 as others have mentioned. Light and easy to carry.

After some thinking I sold it and purchased the 17-55 2.8 and I LOVED that decision. In comparison the 17-55 is much better built, delivers better IQ and i have used that 2.8-4 aperture quite a bit. In fact I like the feel and heaviness of the 17-55 compared to the 18-200mm and it balances better on my d7000 with the grip.

So in all my advice would be to really have a thorough look at what focal ranges u use the most (if you have lightroom its easy to search this) and then buy the best lens u can afford in that focal range. My 17-55 pretty much lives on the camera and gets traded pretty well only for the 70-200 when taking pictures of animals or my dog.

Hope that helps.

Greg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom