1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Should I sell my 17-55 DX for a prime?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sjohnson803, Oct 4, 2008.

1. sjohnson803

sjohnson803 Guest

Hey everyone,
    I am finding myself using prime lenses more often than my zoom lenses. Or for example only using my 17-55mm DX at 17mm. I still use my 70-200 as a zoom lens. I primarily shoot NCAA football and news stories for my local paper (The Gainesville Sun). Does anyone recommend a good prime lens that is wide enough to use on a DX body to replace my 17-55? I will be upgrading to a D3 come first of the year and will then be shooting with a D3/D300 combo.

2. Why? The 18mm 2.8 is expensive and stuck at 18mm. The 17-55 is more flexible, just as sharp and is an AFS lens. If anything, I'd get a 17-35 2.8 as a crossover lens once you go FX. Plus none of the wide-angle primes are AFS and are not as concise to focus from my experience. I tried a 20mm 2.8, but after using one, I found the 17-55 to be still superior.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  3. Gandalf

Gandalf

Nov 15, 2006
    Arkansas
    Good question, Steve. I was shooting a D200 before I got a D3, and I have a 12-24 and a 17-55 that I've been pondering what to do with. Thought about selling them, but haven't pulled the trigger yet, even though I'm considering going FX all the way. Already got a 14-24 for the D3.

I'm interested in seeing the advice you get from other members.

4. TVayos

TVayos Guest

I thought about this for a long time. I ended up with the 35f2, the only place you might miss the 17-55 is the speed in the auto focus and the flexibility of zooming without having to move your feet. What you will not miss is the weight.

5. sjohnson803

sjohnson803 Guest

Thanks everyone,
    I think I will keep it around until I go FX in January. For now (the rest of football season) I'll shoot with my 17-55 then when I move to the D3 I'll sell the 17-55mm. I have used the 14-24mm on a friends D3 and find it to be an amazing lens and will most likely consider it come January. Though I guess it is just a personal thing, but I seen to get much better photos when I use a prime or set my 17-55mm to 17mm and move myself. Maybe it is just me but the photos always "pop" more because the foreground is more separated from the background. I think I will definitely pick up a 50mm f/1.4G in December when it comes out and a few other primes. Who knows, it is a long road to the end of football season and we'll see where I end up come January. Thank you again for everyone's advice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.