Should I upgrade to the R1800?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jklofft, Sep 27, 2005.

1. I have an Epson Picturemate that I use for family snapshots and quick proofs and I’ve been sending my larger work to MPIX. I considering getting an R1800 and doing all of the printing myself. Will the cost of my 4x6s increase significantly when moving from the Picturemate to the R1800?

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I don't know what your costs are, but the R1800 is not really a cheap printer to operate. The transition from dye based inks to pigment based does take some getting used to. I run a color calibrated monitor but still have problems with the R1800 regarding prints much darker than what I see on the screen. I know others who have the same issues. I'm looking at getting a custom profile done for the papers I use. For your use, you might be better off with the 1280. I do like the gamut of the R1800 prints and when I get it right, it will be an awesome printer. It is more costly than my old 1200, that is for sure, and I guess given the re-sale value of the old 1200, I'm going to keep and use it until it quits.

3. The Picturemate uses pigment based inks and I have a completely calibrated system, so those (hopefully) will not be issues. I'm curious about paper and ink costs. Specifically how many prints of what size do you usually get out of set of inks?

4. I have a R1800 and love it.

However to get accurate colors I use the paper profiles from Epson and use the PS "Let Photoshop determine Colors" option so the printer driver is not involved.

This works very well, except I need to print through PS for accurate colors. In other words I cannot get good prints by using the "Print" option in XP, they are too dark, too contrasty, etc.

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I went from the R800 to the R1800. With the 800 I used to print a lot of 4x6, now with the 1800 I print 8x10 and larger. 4x6 glossy photo paper is not expensive when purchased in 100 packs. I usually buy that at compusa if you want to look at prices. I am very pleased with the R1800. :smile:

6. How about Ink usage?

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    It's hard to say what the usage is, with all the individual carts being used at different rates. It does seem to use more ink than my 1200 and a full set of 8 carts for the 1800 is the better part of $100 at atlex.com.

8. At $100, I'd need to get about 850 4x6s to equal the price of the picturemate. Any chance of that?

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I love my 1800...but it drinks ink like a drunkin sailor drinks ale!!! But the results are very nice.

10. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Jeff,

The R1800 cost is about $1.29 for an 8x11, epson paper with ink. At least, that's what another guy who really sounded like he knew what he was talking about said! So, 3, 4x6's per page you'd get about 77 pages and 231 4x6's for $100.

I don't think you buy the R1800 for economy. At least I didn't. There are a lot of less expensive ways to get good prints, such using a local lab. I got mine for speed and control. I get my print orders out the day after I receive them and, using the greta macbeth eye 1, version two and profile prism for calibration and printer profile I get an excellent match. Quality is also quite good.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
  11. shudderbug2

shudderbug2

Mar 25, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    R1800 is sweet!

I had the opportunity to use one and all I know is that the glossy's look fantastic (better then my Epson 4000).

Maybe buying the R1800 is like buying a Mercedes, if you have to ask how much you'd better be looking elsewhere! HA HA!

All I can say is the results speak for themselves and for a semi-large format printer it's definitely a keeper!

13. Hey, watch the remarks about drunken sailors...we don't drink ale.

:tongue: