"Show Focus Area" in Nikon Capture

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by jfrancis, May 15, 2005.

1. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I am a little confused about how to interpret the "Show Focus Area" option in NC. I wanted to analyze the reasons for out-of-focus images of runners in a triathlon shot earlier today.

Some OOF shots did not show the red box at all, and I assumed this was because the camera (D70) had not acquired focus (I was shooting AF-C/Dynamic Area in Continuous mode for most of them).

However, some shots that did show the red focus area were actually OOF in that spot but had other areas that were in sharp focus. Am I missing something here?

2. I've heard of this before and I'm wondering if it has to do with panning? If you've panned and are slightly ahead of the focus areas, it might be off a touch?? just a thought....

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks for that. It's certainly a possibility. The runners were coming towards me at an angle, so I had to pan slightly to keep them in the frame.

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Predictive focus tracking may be the cause as well.

As Nikon explained to me...the focus point shown in Capture was the hot reticle at the time you aquired the target...not the one that actually was the active reticle when the shot was acquired as your subject moves throu the frame.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Ahh . . . now THAT might explain it . . .

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

For those who don't have Nikon Capture, here is an example of the focusing point as shown by two red brackets.

[​IMG]

7. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    its that only in the latest ver of capture?

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I only use the single point focusing method and find the Focus Point feature particularly useful if I'm questioning where my actual focus was.

Any time I am not happy with sharpness or focus, the first thing I do is verify where my focus point was. I have seen many "complaints" in forums about the focus on the D70, and it seems most are either due to camera shake or the focus point not being where the user thought it was.

Whatever it's faults, I find it to be great tool for me. And, although I too wish NC was faster, I find it to be very easy to use, producing excellent results with it's available tools, especially the NEF/RAW abilities.