Show us your Carrion Eaters, Gale, this one's for you.....

OK, the Swan thread didn't keep up as long as I'd hopped, so how about we try something completely different? Your buzzards, your vultures, your wait-around-until-something dies. Give it your best shot, post a couple, change them often. I know, from personal experience, that Gale and Rory have one of two good ones as well :lol: .

Ain't I the cute one.....- White Vulture, SD Wild Animal Park
DSC9908.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lookin' more like a vulture this time....
DSC9910.jpg

And here is one from Nancy:
DSC2661.sized.jpg

That is one of the better looking vultures I have seen. I guess it is the white fuzz on his head. The vultures I have seen in person never looked that gook. If I can say this out loud, that virst image is "quite pretty." Ok, I have said it. :D :D

Bill, as I recall your desire to get some species specific threads going, we were to add up to 3 shots of the species. Well, you started with White Vultures, so I'll go to the other end of the spectrum and post some black vultures.

An adult -
43592523.gif

A Juvenile in early morning light -
View attachment 13977

And the same juvenile later in the day -
View attachment 13978

Now we need to get someone to post some turkey vultures, condors, etc so we have them all covered. Of course, more whites and blacks are good too! :lol:

Well ok Bill, this is my first ever bird shot and it was a pretty rare opportunity. These are the California Condors and they were flying right over the road just south of Carmel in the Big Sur area. I wish I had known more what I was doing back when I had the opportunity to take these a couple of years ago.

original.gif

View attachment 13980

View attachment 13981 [/img]

I think I posted this one some time ago, but it works for me here:
28752965-L.jpg

Taken from the car while in a parking lot. Shot out of the passenger window (wound down) from the drivers seat.
Bob

Turkey vulture

How do you guys get so close to them. Do you play dead or what? :) :) :)

Here's a turkey vulture that I saw near Needles BC while on vacation last week. When I stepped out of my car, I could smell what he was going after, but I didn't care to investigate!

47859382.gif

Hi Friends,

Very special captures of raptors in this post. They are really beautiful and photogenic birds and unfortunately very hard to find in the area where I live.

Special mention goes to the Condor flying over the rocks by James. Wonderful picture man, congratulations.

Roberto

Re: Show us your Carrion Eaters, Gale, this one's for you...

Here are two carrion eaters caught at Gale's favorite spot, the Viera Wetlands

a vulture
30542272-L.jpg

and a Crested Caracara
32571353-L.jpg

Let's keep 'em coming, folks. Seeing that Caracara, I know I have seen a bunch more of these on the forum as well. And, Gale, I just KNOW you have a flew more, oops, spell-check, a FEW more hanging around as well...... :wink:

And everyone else, pick a subject, start a thread, there have GOT to be about a bazillion of them:

Hummers - UF where are you?
Woodpeckers
Raptors
Shorebirds...

Heck, make up some new ones as well......

Sorry, no “carrion eater” image just “carrion eaten”. Last year a mountain lion killed a deer roughly 50 yards from my cabin on a Sunday night. It returned to feed for the next three nights. Now I may be a brave soul but I’m not stupid enough to go out at night to get a shot of a mountain lion over it’s kill. My neighbor said turkey vultures had their turn each day while I was at work, so again no photo ops. Anyway, after three days the “big guys” pretty much got what they could and then the “little guys” (e.g., beetles, ants, yellowjackets, maggots, etc.) took over. So finially, its Saturday, I’m off work, and this is what’s left for me and my trusty CP5700. I got my D70 about four months later and by then even the bones were pretty much gone to gnawing rodents. The cycle of life at work.

When I first opened the image I immediately saw the face of an evil demented ape (kinda like seeing images in clouds) which led to this crop. Squint your eyes, use your imagination and see the ape.

RETIEF; as a “didgeridooist extraordinaire” you may get a kick out of my “Monster Call” post over on the People/Portraiture forum.

CP5700, 1/13 sec, f4.2, 71.2mm, iso 100, RAW
original.gif

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Well here is a fitting favorite for your pleasure Bill, a HEADLESS, flying Turkey Vulture from the Cowichan River here on Vancouver Island!

47915477.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom