Share Show your focus-stacked images

With the automated focus shifting capabilities of the new Nikon Z camera there seems to be a lot of interest in focus stacking now. I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated thread devoted to focus-stacked images. All cameras and methods are welcome, of course, but I think we would prefer to see new images not previously posted elsewhere on the Cafe.

At Mike Buckley's suggestion, please tell us which stacking software you used and its settings.

I'll start. This one is a stack of 30 images done with a Z6 and Helicon Focus at default settings.

Try1_Nik.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill
D850 20 photos.

Orchid Stack.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to Jim for starting the thread! With those two photos, it's definitely off to a good start.

This one is a stack of 30 images done with a Z6 and Helicon Focus.
I like that the leaf in the rear gradually and naturally becomes a little out of focus. How did you manage to make such a nice, even transition from the sharp focus to the out of focus (as opposed to an unsightly, abrupt change)?

@bsinc1962: Same compliment and question for you with regard to the stem in the lower left area.

@Pa: I wonder if I can persuade you to suggest in the first post that everyone mentions the stacking software they use and its settings (understanding that Photoshop has no settings; just one way to make it happen).
Done. When I first acquired Helicon Focus I experimented with various settings but could never see much difference. Since then I've always just used the default.

Captured using a Tamron 90mm macro lens and CamRanger Mini using the legacy method of inputting information (basically the same as the Nikon method). 56 images, step size "small," focus-stacked in Helicon Focus using default settings.

A transparent wine bottle with spiral embossing containing sparkling white wine is laying on its side at a 45-degree angle to the camera with the top closest to the camera. Translucent white plexiglass is behind the bottle and a medium continuous-light lamp is behind the plexiglass shining toward the bottle and camera. That lighting outlines the transparent glass in dark tones, though admittedly a close-up image that doesn't include the top or bottom edge of the bottle makes it difficult to determine which part is the outlining.

Mike 2020-02-18--S.jpg

Last edited:
Might i make a supplementary request to Mike's?

If this thread is going to be of help to anyone wishing to have a try at Focus Shifting then it might be helpful to include, in the case of the Zx and D850, the Step Width used as well as the number of shots and aperture?

DG

Last edited:
If this thread is going to be of help to anyone wishing to have a try at Focus Shifting then it might be helpful to include, in the case of the Zx and D850, the Step Width used as well as the number of shots an aperture?
Good idea and it shouldn't be limited to the Nikon system. I added information about the step size I used with the CamRanger Mini to the information about my photo. The EXIF information at the bottom of the photo displays the aperture.

Agreed.

I noticed that Helicon has something called Helicon Remote - would that be the equivalent of Cam Ranger?

The advantage would seem to be the precise setting of the far distant focus point. With the Z6 it is more hit and miss but not difficult to achieve (eventually).

Here are a couple - one has been re-done in Helicon.

70 Images; Step Width =1.

50 Images; Step Width =1.

Helicon Remote - would that be the equivalent of Cam Ranger?
Yes, and it's significantly less expensive. I didn't know about Helicon Remote until after I had purchased the Cam Ranger Mini. The big difference is that Helicon Remote seems to be a software solution whereas the CamRanger and other external devices I've seen are a combination of hardware and software solutions. I don't know how Helicon Remote establishes a WiFi connection without additional hardware, but the website says it does it and doesn't mention any hardware. Their video shows using a wired connection.

The advantage would seem to be the precise setting of the far distant focus point.
If it works. I wonder how well it works based on my experience with CamRanger Mini. Sometimes the method of setting the nearest and farthest focal distances works great and other times not at all.

As an example, for my above photo, I began trying to use that method. The nearest and farthest focal distances were perfectly sharp when displayed at 200% on my phone. The information indicated that about 50 shots would be taken. (I don't remember the exact number.) It took only five. I changed the method of input to the device's legacy system of input which seems to be essentially the same as the Nikon method. That method worked perfectly and always has so long as I guess right about the number of captures needed and the step size.

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill
Might i make a supplementary request to Mike's?

If this thread is going to be of help to anyone wishing to have a try at Focus Shifting then it might be helpful to include, in the case of the Zx and D850, the Step Width used as well as the number of shots an aperture?

DG
On my Orchid picture the step width was set to 6 for the 20 shots. Measuring the flower front to back was around 5". Aperture was fixed at f/5.6

Agreed.

I noticed that Helicon has something called Helicon Remote - would that be the equivalent of Cam Ranger?

The advantage would seem to be the precise setting of the far distant focus point. With the Z6 it is more hit and miss but not difficult to achieve (eventually).
I have Helicon Remote and used it for the images in this gallery. That was four years ago so I don't know how the current version works, but at that time I tethered my camera to my laptop computer and Helicon Remote controlled the camera from there. I could set the near point and the far point and I think the software then figured out how many images to take, the spacing between each, and triggered the camera.

I don't know if they have a wireless version now, but that was done with a cable.

I took these 14 years ago when I first read about focus stacking. I seem to recall these were 6 image stacks. Never tried focus stacking again.

Here are two from a Valentine bouquet.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom