Share Show your focus-stacked images

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
The Z 6 and Z 7 make it pretty easy when native lenses are used. You can achieve the same result with any lens by stacking in post. The trick, IMO, is to stack without making it look like you did. Sometimes, the in-focus areas "wrap around" in a way that looks unnatural. If this happens, you can revisit those areas with the blur tool as needed.
thanks hey your in the town of rob arrington deer meat for dinner guy... lol I just seen that.. I watch his stuff all the time..

It is the day before Christmas. With nothing to do I did a focus stack of my Nikon D700.
-test2020-12-24 17-51-14 (A,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg GOOD-sharpen-stabilize.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Did this one over the summer. I can’t recall how many photos got stacked in Photoshop.
DD950A76-35B8-4BF6-8EB8-A11ACEFA13D8.jpeg

Slow day here today so I decided to practice on my wife's amaryllis blossoms. Z6 and 24-70S, 26 images at step size 2, HeliconFocus with default settings.

Stack1.jpg

I need to work on composition more. This is a pretty dull image.

The first challenge that got me interested in focus stacking several years ago was to be able to get an entire amaryllis blossom in focus. As you can see from my previous post, that task is a piece of cake with focus-shift shooting on a Z6.

In fact, one can even get a batch of blossoms all in focus:

Stack2.jpg

Focus stacked image on my model railroad. Looking for hints on how to minimize the fringing around sharper edges in Helicon focus. This was around 70 frames, method "C", smoothing "4".
Wheelerville focus stacked.jpg

Focus stacked image on my model railroad. Looking for hints on how to minimize the fringing around sharper edges in Helicon focus. This was around 70 frames, method "C", smoothing "4".

I wish you hadn't mentioned that it is your model railroad, as I'm confident I would never have known it wasn't the real thing. My wife also didn't know until I told her.

Based on my experience and the descriptions at the Helicon Focus website, I'm surprised you used Method C. Did you try using the default settings (Model B, Radius 8 and Smoothing 4)? If so, what was wrong with the results?

If you're not familiar with the information about when to use a particular method, be sure to check out https://www.heliconsoft.com/helicon-focus-main-parameters/

I wish you hadn't mentioned that it is your model railroad, as I'm confident I would never have known it wasn't the real thing. My wife also didn't know until I told her.

Based on my experience and the descriptions at the Helicon Focus website, I'm surprised you used Method C. Did you try using the default settings (Model B, Radius 8 and Smoothing 4)? If so, what was wrong with the results?

If you're not familiar with the information about when to use a particular method, be sure to check out https://www.heliconsoft.com/helicon-focus-main-parameters/
Per the helicon page you reference, Method C is better if "The image has many crossing lines and changes in surface level. " which I figured this image had. FWIW, it seems that decreasing the number of images and widening the interval in-camera helps a bit. (I'm using a Z6).

Method C is better if "The image has many crossing lines and changes in surface level. "

Based on my experience, your image has relatively few crossing lines and isn't at all like the sample image that demonstrates them. Most important, when Helicon Focus doesn't work using a particular method, try using a different one. The problematic issues in your image are glaring and I encourage you to give the default settings (Method B, Radius 8 and Smoothing 4) a try.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom