Share Show your focus-stacked images

Captured using a Tamron 90mm macro lens and CamRanger Mini using the legacy method of inputting information (basically the same as the Nikon method). 56 images, step size "small," focus-stacked in Helicon Focus using default settings.

A transparent wine bottle with spiral embossing containing sparkling white wine is laying on its side at a 45-degree angle to the camera with the top closest to the camera. Translucent white plexiglass is behind the bottle and a medium continuous-light lamp is behind the plexiglass shining toward the bottle and camera. That lighting outlines the transparent glass in dark tones, though admittedly a close-up image that doesn't include the top or bottom edge of the bottle makes it difficult to determine which part is the outlining.

View attachment 1655593
Interesting photo, Mike, but in spite of your detailed description I still can't quite figure out what I'm looking at.

40 Images; Step Width = 2; Main Object 4 Inches.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here is my "Out My Front Door" contribution to this thread:

21 images from 50 selected, step 1, initial focus on security gate (must have bumped focus ring with hand as it definitely no in focus! Note to self - check initial focus before pressing START)
Nikon 850, Nikon 24-70 F2.8 set to 50mm
ISO 64, 1/200, f8, manual exposure
NEF to TIF (6 bit color, ProPhoto colorspace) processing via Capture One 20
Stacked using Zerene stacker, PMax "flavor"
_CWN5163-PROPHOTO.jpg

I may have some bits of info here and there as I did not record it.

Last edited:
My first real attempt at a focus-stacked image. All I'd tried before were landscapes that failed because of wind and moving clouds.

A 6" X 6" Norwegian folk weaving.
Width set at 1, 59 images. Shot as NEF, assembled in Affinity Photo, with no raw processing. Minor tweaks done in PhotoLab. Looks like I missed front focus by a small smidgen or 2.

Edited: I had inadvertently loaded the un-tweaked image. This had a curves adjustment, a bit of sharpening and some exposure adjusting.

Norsk_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter Rowe
13 frames stacked together to capture a diamond heart ring. This is severely cropped to just show the center of the frame. Image stacking done in Photoshop CC.

Nikon D850 w/ 70-200/2.8E + 36mm extension tube

Great photo, Walter. Fabulous combination of clarity and softness that is a great fit with the subject. The significant crop you mentioned also attends to the detail of knowing how a photo is going to be used; if it isn't going to be printed at a large size, the size of the image file can be surprisingly small without letting the image quality suffer.

A pair of Nez Perce moccasins that were gifted to me by a family of one of the Tribal leaders, whose wife had been a student of mine.

Interval 3; 24 shots; shot as a jpg and stacked using Affinity Photo (Jpgs process about 10x faster than NEFS). Tweaked in DXO-PhotoLab.

I can see why this is an intoxicating process. Done right you get great results. And there is a lag between shooting and viewing—sort of, kind of, like shooting in the old days with film. Almost.

In honor of Mike's new camera.

Interval 3; 24 shots; shot as a jpg and stacked using Affinity Photo. Tweaked in DXO-PhotoLab.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom