Share Show your focus-stacked images

You are right Jim. Forecast for 34º overnight and rain, followed by winds tomorrow. Could be a chilly morning. Fortunately this picture should take all of 5 mins to capture so my exposure to the elements will be brief.
I would be more concerned about the wind shaking the blossoms.

I'm nothing other than a noobie at this stuff, but at least this early in the learning curve it definitely takes a lot of patience. Wishing you had enough patience to keep making more images, as this one is stunning!
Thanks, Mike, I appreciate that. This particular image was the product of the confluence of good back-lighting and my (then) new interest in focus stacking. This one may have had an element of hdr as well... I did some of that too. Anyway, thanks again.

@daveg -- Everything is sharply in focus in the bell (I think that's what it is) but the very bottoms of the reflections in the cute animals made of yarn are not quite sharp. Was that your intention?
Hi Mike,

While it is entirely possible that I miscalculated the start point/number of images (50) the dng (6046x4024) does not look too bad. The combination of the possible miscalculation, my error with the ISO, downsizing and whatever Nikon Cafe does to the JPEGs could all contrive to make it look a little softer than the original DNG in the area you pointed out. It was not my intention.

The figures are Thimble sized Crocheted objects made by my daughter with a very fine Crochet needle. They do not have names - yet.

DG

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Here is another focus stack from the same session yesterday where I managed to get front focus, but not enough images in the stack to get focus all the way to the top / back of the frame. This was a 20 frame sequence, focus width 3, silent shutter, ISO 100, 1/6s, f/5.6. Like my previous image I processed these raw files in Capture One Pro 20 to export as 16-bit TIFFs, then focus merged them in Affinity Photo.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here is another focus stack from the same session yesterday where I managed to get front focus, but not enough images in the stack to get focus all the way to the top / back of the frame.
I really like the look of this one. I'm wondering if sometimes, especially with scenes such as this one, if there isn't too much of a tendency to keep everything in focus. This treatment that leaves just a bit at the rear out of focus looks very natural yet provides so much more of the scene in focus than you might be able to do with just one shot.

Practicing in my office, while working of course - 30 images / 3 step interval. Focused out a bit on Alabama

60 images; step width 2.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I really like the look of this one. I'm wondering if sometimes, especially with scenes such as this one, if there isn't too much of a tendency to keep everything in focus. This treatment that leaves just a bit at the rear out of focus looks very natural yet provides so much more of the scene in focus than you might be able to do with just one shot.
Thanks Mike. I agree.

I displayed this photo in this week's Collective Shoot but thought it was appropriate to also display it here.

Four photos using Nikon step size 5. Helicon Focus default settings. No touch up required.

I realize I could have easily gotten the entire fence in focus using just one shot, but doing that wouldn't have taught me anything about focus stacking. All of my previous focus-stacked photos were of subjects 1 foot deep or smaller. This fence is 48 feet deep.

Mike 2020-02-28--005-S.jpg

This is a stack that, for the first time for me out of only a few photos, Helicon Focus default settings couldn't handle. That's no surprise considering the small depth of field and the fine lines of wire that are the only parts desired to be in focus. This photo is at a different angle from the above photo and was taken using a different focal length and the largest aperture to throw the background out of focus.

The image is displayed at 100%. Notice in the top half of the image that the concrete in the background is messed up immediately adjacent to the wires. In the bottom half of the image, the horizontal wires are out of focus and the vertical wires are sort of translucent (with the look of a double exposure, one for the grass and one for the wire).

I didn't take the time to try different settings in Helicon Focus and probably won't.

Mike 2020-02-28--012-S.jpg

It is an extremely difficult type of subject and if i remember rightly is most suited to the "c" process. The process is suitable for overlapping planes.

if i remember rightly is most suited to the "c" process. The process is suitable for overlapping planes.
You remember correctly about both points as verified by the chart in the manual. I quickly ran the same images using the default setting of Method C and the results were hugely improved. My guess is that trying a slightly different parameter setting would have eliminated the problems.

By the way, I accidentally learned that if you click and hold the rendered image still within Helicon Focus, the area around the pointer is displayed at 100%. If you continune to hold as you move the pointer to other areas of the image, those other areas will be displayed at 100%.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom