Share Show your focus-stacked images

40 Images; Step Width 2; f8; Helicon & Photoshop. I also corrected the perspective - not sure if it looks "real"?

The lighting arrangement has changed since previous posts - I think for the better.

z61_2020-02-20-13-34-19-(B,Radius6,Smoothing6).jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

z61_2020-02-20-13-34-19-(B,Radius6,Smoothing6)_2.jpg

I contacted HeliconSoft today via e-mail asking which version of the software works with Capture One, supplying theM with both my machine type and software level of the OS. Their response was HORRIBLY unsatisfying because all the documentation related to interfacing with Capture One was referencing Capture One V12. Needless to say I aired my grievances and said it make their company look foolish. I also told them I would periodically revisit the documentation of the Helicon photo stacker and Capture One, but only make a purchase after they update their docs ewfwewncing Capture One v20. I am waiting with bated breath waiting for their reply.

I was a programmer in the seismic exploration business for 44 years and never dared to release software without a documentation update at the same time for the fear of the consequences (being bit--ed-out by senior production managers. So I am not being overly anal about inadequate support for a software product.

Ok, need some advice. Seems I have missed the initial thread on how-to-shoot image stack. This is a set of 20 with an interval of 1. Where would you recommend focusing first? Bottom of the image, top of a petal? Thanks
rose.png

Their response was HORRIBLY unsatisfying because all the documentation related to interfacing with Capture One was referencing Capture One V12...only make a purchase after they update their docs referencing Capture One v20.

I really like Helicon Focus software but their written tutorial (not a third-party tutorial) not only mentions a Parameters tab but displays a screenshot of it. I have the latest version of their software and there is no Parameters tab. I wonder how long ago it was removed.

Ok, need some advice. Seems I have missed the initial thread on how-to-shoot image stack. This is a set of 20 with an interval of 1. Where would you recommend focusing first? Bottom of the image, top of a petal? Thanks
View attachment 1655696
Usually the closest point that you want in focus (or a bit in front (closer) of it if you can.

If you position yourself at 90 degrees to camera and subject you should be able to see the portion of the subject which is closest to the lens. That is where I would focus (and maybe pull back a little from there).

DG

Real Name
Chris
View attachment 1655696
Turn on focus peaking and manually adjust distance of your camera to your subject with focus set to as nearest. Once you see the first part of hour subject show any peaking, back the camera up a tiny bit and start your stack from there. You want to start from the closest point of your subject to the camera (with a little breathing room). Verify you can focus on the entire subject by manually focusing. Once you have set your starting point and know you can successfully focus on the entire image then change your settings to what they need to be and start your stack.

75 Images; Step Width = 2; Helicon and Photoshop.
2020-02-20-19-49-11.jpg

If you position yourself at 90 degrees to camera and subject you should be able to see the portion of the subject which is closest to the lens.

You're right that anyone should be able to determine that. However, I often can't determine it and realize my determination was wrong only after seeing each of the focus-bracketed images.

Turn on focus peaking

Great advice if the camera has that. Many don't.

Real Name
Chris
I posted this one a while back, I don’t remember the number of shots but I do remember my width was 1. Tiny flower with a drop of water that I added a brand logo onto for a product shoot.
22636084-743D-47EB-850F-156EC2D57D91.jpeg

Those replies were super prompt! Thanks! This process is going to create a lot of shutter count increases!

Tried 50 and re-focusing out a bit, but seems it did not go deep enough into the rose. f/4 on 24-70 Z6. 1/50 at 800 iso. I use PS - new to me process of image stack script. Nothing fancy but will check out Helicon.

...........This process is going to create a lot of shutter count increases!

Yes!!

Tried 50 and re-focusing out a bit, but seems it did not go deep enough into the rose. f/4 on 24-70 Z6. 1/50 at 800 iso. I use PS - new to me process of image stack script. Nothing fancy but will check out Helicon.

Presumably, you were using a tripod? So why ISO 800? Try 50 - 75 at Step Width = 2 and f5.6-f8. With the Z6, when it has finished VERY CAREFULLY check the last image by pressing review. You should be able to see if you need more. WITHOUT re-focusing set it up for another 25-50 images and it will continue from where it stopped. This is where back button focusing comes in handy - unless you touch that it will not re-focus. It will create a new folder so you will have to combine the two folders.

Latest threads

Top Bottom