Shrimp Season is about to Start

Real Name
Dan
Not sure yet if/how we'll be impacted by the Covid stuff. But here's what it's like for us.

1) We catch what the state regulators call spotted shrimp. Restaurateurs call them cold water prawns( I think). We use traps/pots made of netting stretched over a frame that we set in fairly deep water, nominally 500ft(150m) depth. Anything organic can be used for bait with varying results. Bait pellets made from fish meal are commercially available and is what we use as the simplest though not least expensive alternative. The bright orange object in the middle of the trap is what holds the bait. The buckets in this shot hold two gallons each. The heads account for about half the volume/weight and are removed and discarded. This shot was of a particularly good set. Typically we average about 1/2 bucket with each trap after about a six hour "soak".
p3472137529-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) A better idea of the size.
p3472137491-4.jpg

3) It's hard work for the whole crew.
p3472137514-6.jpg

4) The local keep an eye on us.
p3531170990-6.jpg

5) A typical anchorage at end of day. There are rarely any other boats in the same cove with us.
p3878426316-6.jpg

6) But we're never alone.
p3531170934-6.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Great peek into your days!!!! Excellent shots! Boy how I'd love to have some of those shrimp! 500 feet......that's a long, long way down! I once dove to about 120'.......gets pretty dark at those depths!

Real Name
Dan
A very enjoyable thread!!
Glad you liked it, Terri. Nowadays the forum is morphing from photography discussion to general entertainment. For me at least :)
+1. The prawns look really yummy. Nice set Dan (y).
Thanks, Rick. They're nothing like southern/warm water shrimp. More like eating tiny lobster.
Great peek into your days!!!! Excellent shots! Boy how I'd love to have some of those shrimp! 500 feet......that's a long, long way down! I once dove to about 120'.......gets pretty dark at those depths!
Glad you enjoyed the post, Karen. Yeah I suspect the big eyeballs and long antennae have something to do with living in the dark.

Real Name
Dan
We had shrimp for dinner last night—from a bit further south, unfortunately.
See my comment above about how they taste :)
great set Dan and those shrimp look huge, how many to a lb ?
They vary in size a good bit. But seem to hang out with others of similar size. The ones pictured are probably about 8-12 count. On average probably more like 16-20.
Very enjoyable! #6 is just terrific. I think I remember seeing it and it's great to revisit it. I'm guessing 5 - 6 shrimp per pound with the head on.
That's probably a good guess on the size, Mike.

Real Name
Dan
You might want to think that through again. They'll also bring the coronavirus with them.
Building a backlog of desire and longing for when this is all over ;)

All joking aside we have well over a million visitors per year via cruise ship. I suspect this tourist season will be a bust. I went on the websites of Princess and Celebrity. Celebrity is booking cruises beginning first of July. The cruise season normally starts mid-May. Looks like Princess is booking their normal schedule from early May on though heavily discounted. Not sure what they're smoking.

Last edited:
Celebrity is booking cruises beginning first of July. The cruise season normally starts mid-May. Looks like Princess is booking their normal schedule from early May on though heavily discounted. Not sure what they're smoking.

The following is an excerpt of an article that was pushed to me today by Conde Naste Traveler, a paid subscription:

"CDC Orders Cruise Ships to Suspend Operations for 100 More Days
April 10, 2020

On April 9, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced an extension of its "No Sail Order" for cruise ships in response to the coronavirus outbreak. It was originally placed on March 14 and set to last 30 days, and the U.S. cruise industry, which has worked closely with the CDC throughout the emergence of the COVID-19 pandemic, volunteered to suspend operations in conjunction with the announcement.

The new order remains in place until one of three scenarios occurs: the Secretary of Health and Human Services no longer declares COVID-19 a public health emergency; the CDC director modifies or rescinds the order based on public health or other considerations; or 100 more days pass, the CDC said in a statement."

Real Name
Dan
I guess Princess just hasn't updated there website yet. I'll be surprised if they run at all this summer.

Another big mode of travel for folks coming up here is RVs. Not nearly the numbers of course and not nearly the financial impact as they don't spend nearly as much money. Presumably Canada isn't going to allow them to transit their space. Which will make driving a lot easier/safer.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Great series, from the shrimps to the animals and scenery.

But, don't throw away the heads. They are delicious.

Real Name
Dan
... But I bet those fresh ones would have been 100* better
They are pretty darn tasty. We freeze them in plastic tubs full of water which keeps them from dehydrating and they stay remarkably fresh tasting.
Oh wow..can only imagine how they taste compared to the supermarket freezer variety that we get....
We grew up eating shrimp on the coast of the southeastern US. There is no camparison.
...But, don't throw away the heads. They are delicious.
Even if we agreed the heads spoil very quickly even when on ice.
What a lovely day and a very enjoyable set Dan. The last shot is special.
Thanks, Binnur. Glad you enjoyed the post.

Latest threads

Top Bottom