Shrubs/Tree ID Please

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by gbenic, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Can someone ID these 2 shrubs and tree for me?

Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Greg,
    I think the first is a variegated weigela. I've seen the second one, but don't know what it is. The third is an interesting looking tree, but I've no idea -- is that a PA native?

3. Weigela, that's it! My parents gave me these shrubs when they had the greenhouse. They don't seem to be flowering much. I couldn't remember what they were to look up on-line. Unfortunately, my parents are dead so I can't ask them either.

As far as the tree, I don't know if it is a PA native or not. That was here when I bought the house. My father nursed it back to health and it has done pretty well for years. I just want to know what it is so I can learn more about it.

Thanks for the first ID!

4. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    From what I can see from the pic your second photo might be an ornamental Spirea "bush" although the flower clusters usually are much larger. Please correct me if I am wrong.

5. Jerry, my parents have used the word Spirea, so that is more than likely correct. Thanks!

Now, how 'bout the tree?

6. Thanks to you guys, I was able to do some additional research. From the pictures and articles I have found, the first does appear to be a variegated weigela. I am trying to find out why there are only a couple of flowers on one plant and none on the other. I believe that number 2 is a Gold Flame Spirea. The pictures that I am finding on the Web show small flower clusters like mine and very large flower clusters. I used to have larger clusters and am trying to find out why they disappeared. Thanks again guys. You put me on the right track.

7. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Greg,
    Part of the problem for us has been the weather this summer. Our weigela is usually a prolific bloomer, but they have had only a few blooms during our hot dry summer. My wife reminded me that we have a couple of different varieties of spirea, including the one you show, but those too have not produced well this year.

I'd like to know what that tree is too -- the leaf is a little like a dogwood, but that's no dogwood that I'm familiar with.

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

1. not familar

2. definitively a species of Spirea

3. could this be Japanese Dogwood (Cornus kuosa)?

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Due to weather changes etc. Might be missing some nutrients. Check to see what they might need. I usually like Miracle Grow LOLOL

some plants need a specific nutrient for blooming.

Really pretty and nice images.
    thank you for sharing.

10. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    The tree is definitely a dogwood as Bjorn states. Have seen photos of identical fruits but unfortunately don't have a specific name for you.

11. Bob, Bjorn and Jerry, thanks. After searching the web, it is in fact a Japanese Dogwood.

Gale, now that I know what these things are, I will find out what I need to do to help them. Thanks for the kind comments as well.

Thanks again everyone!