Shsssh...I went bird hunting! (D2H Images)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jonathan F/2, Apr 19, 2005.

1. So I went back to my hometown of Portland, OR to visit my parents since I'm not doing squat in LA. My recovery is actually starting to pick up, and I can actually walk around! Yippee!

Anyways, today was actually a nice day in the usual damp and rainy Rose city. I decided to go for a little stroll and do some target practice and brush up on my focus tracking and shooting. So I went to the local park near my parents' house and did some bird hunting! It was actually kinda fun and relaxing, though not my 'cup of tea', I enjoy the focus tracking aspects and trying to get the lil'suckers in focus and centered in the viewfinder. Unfortunately, all I had was my 70-200 VR and D2H, so I had to do some heavy cropping on some of the shots. I think you bird guys would like it here in Portland, lots of nature stuff to shoot all in your backyard!

A pesky seagull:
    [​IMG]

A bird of some sort:
    [​IMG]

Another bird:
    [​IMG]

A dinosaur descendant:
    [​IMG]

Pretty Flowers:
    [​IMG]

Any critiques welcome!

OT - The 70-200 VR bokeh is as smooth and luscious as an 18 year old cheerleader's perky butt! Man, I'm beginning to get bokeh lust! Also, any recommendation on a TC...either the 1.4 or the 1.7?

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jonathan,

Great pics for a birdie noob. 8) Really, these are great. Most of us have to work for months to get the tracking thing down.

As for a choice for the TC, it depends on what you are looking for. With the 1.4, the 70-200VR is almost as good as with no TC. The 1.7 is a little less sharp, but then it does get you to 340mm.

I have both and use both, based on what kind of shooting I am doing. For flight shots, I usually stick with the 1.4. For sitting shots, I often choose the 1.7.

Frank

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jonathan :

Good news about your recovery. Congrats on getting mobile again.

As for TCs, I have both the TC14 and TC17, and I can recommend both. As others will note, the 1.4 is darned crisp, almost like not having a TC on at all. The 1.7 is still pretty sharp, but I can see some softening here and there. However, I can get out to 550mm using my 200-400mm with that TC, almost as long as the really big glass, but with the flexibility I want.

Both TCs are wonderful on the 70-200mm and the 1.7 has only a slight bit of softening on that lens.

John P.

4. Thanks guys! This other guy who was there had a 200-400 VR and D2X, and I was seriously having gear lust, though he later told me he worked at the local camera shop and was just borrowing the gear...I was thinking I should get a part-time job at a camera shop! :p

I also bumped into this old man also shooting at the park, and he kept complaining that he was getting soft shots with his S2 and Bigma combo. I was trying to explain to him that the focusing mechanism wasn't pro quality, but he was saying that the technology was just terrible for the price he paid, considering how much this stuff cost, he's probably right! :O

Regarding TCs, I'm wondering can you shoot wide open with the Nikon 1.4x and still retain sharpness? I had the 70-200 Sigma and 1.4 tc and that combo sucked big time.

5. Very nice images Jonathan. Crisp, well saturated colors and great detail.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jonathan,

I'm sure you could with the Nikon versions, but you ain't going to get s**t for DOF, so if the focus isn't right on the money, it will still suck.

Let me put it this way. If you are happy with the 70-200VR at 2.8, then you will be just as happy with this lens plus the TC-14EII. That would be my decision point.

Regards,

Frank

7. Hi Jonathan........nice pics and glad to see you back on your feet and your recovery is going well. Really like the blackbird, hard shot to bring out the detail on a high contrast subject. Well done! have to reiterate, the 1.4X with the 70-200mm VR is exceptional as Frank sez, you can shoot wide open and retain the sharpness. Dont hesitate!!! Hope to see more posts! take care

8. Thanks Frank...it wasn't a focus issue with the Sigma combo, wide open that combo was waaaaay soft, even if the focus was good! :)

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jonathan :

It will still hold a high degree of sharpness, if not quite as crisp as without the TC. I won't lie about this - the TC has some effect - but I consider the tradeoffs more than acceptable. And as for sharpness of image with a TC, have a look at :

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=2308&highlight=

That's not quite wide open, but I think the level of feather detail shows the ability of the TC14EII with good Nikon glass. If anything, I find that the 70-200mm AFS/VR is much sharper with the TC than is the 200-400mm AFS/VR. And the TC17E is only a hair or two less capable.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Jonathan.....glad to hear to you are up and about. Nice shots!! :D :D :D

11. Nice visuals, but you need to work a little on your bird identifications. "Dinosaur descendant" won't cut it in avian circles.

ROFLMAO!

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey UF, that's exactly what I thought of when I saw this one that Janie took at the local animal park: :lol:

[​IMG]

If that doesn't remind you of a dinosaur, then I don't know what would. 8)

Frank

13. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Gee I don't know Frank. It actually reminds me of an Emu. ;)

Neil

14. Jonathan, glad to hear you're healing. I've used the TC14EII on the 70-200VR and extremely crisp sharp shots. I've used the TC20EII and been disappointed in the difference.
    I test-drove the Bigma on my S3 and just couldn't master the thing. Very soft pics so I took it back. Not sure if it's me or the lens - I've seen some great shots come out of the Bigma but then again, they might have just been that one out of a thousand shot, I like consistency! Bernie Heins of Nextphoto tried the Bigma as well, with same opinion.
    I'm leaving the TC14EII attached to the 70-200 all the time now for my birding. Get it - you'll be very pleased with it.
    Cheers, Sandi
    PS: #2 looks like female meadowlark, #3 is definitely a red-winged blackbird