Shutter actuations?

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum...it has been a long time since I last visited Nikon Cafe.

I recently upgraded to the D7000 (love it!) from a D80 that served me well for 4 years. I have a dear friend who has been wanting a DSLR but doesn't have a lot of money to invest in new equipment so I would like to sell it to her. Both Mac's Preview and CS5 say the shutter actuation count is 6997 which seems extremely low. I thought it would be closer to 20,000-25,000. Is there another program I should use to figure that out (for Mac)?

Last edited by a moderator:
The following link to the For Sale thread that I used to sell my D80 last month will provide helpful information: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=290114&highlight=d80

The shutter count is in the EXIF data, so that number shouldn't change regardless of what program you use to review it. I suppose there is the possibility that your shutter count recycled at 100,000 clicks, which would mean that your count is 106,696 rather than 6697. You could examine the shutter count of images captured a couple of years ago to determine if indeed you went past the 100,000 clicks (actually 99,999 clicks is the maximum that are registered).

I sold mine last Sept. for a little over $300 with a battery, charger, Camera Armor, Magic Lantern D80 guide book and the David Busch Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide Book . It was in excellent condition with 45,000 acutations.

Thank you for the replies. I edited the post because after reading the forum rules I wasn't sure if asking the resale value is permitted. My main concern is figuring out the shutter actuation, so thank you for the help.

Mike, unfortunately I cannot see the for sale forum because I have less than 300 posts.

Kellie and I have exchanged some information privately and she wonders if she reset the shutter count even though she doesn't remember doing so.

I just now conducted a search of "reset" of the D80 manual. I found no method of resetting the shutter count. It wasn't even mentioned. Similarly, I tried conducting a search of "shutter count" and "actuation" to learn that those words aren't included in the manual.

Almost exactly one year ago my D80 stopped functioning. The only thing that got it working again was using the reset that resets everything to the factory settings. Even so, the shutter count was not reset. I just now verified that by reviewing the two images that I kept that were taken immediately before and after I reset the camera. (It's a long story that explains how I am able to easily identify those two images.)

Based on all of that, I doubt that it's possible to manually reset the shutter count on the D80. I suppose some sort of anomoly such as a static charge could have done that but probably nothing that she could have controlled.

I read online that updating the firmware in the camera may reset the actuation count. Don't know if it applies in this case, or to this model. Just a thought.

Unfortunately if that's what the camera reports then there isn't much you can do to get another number out of the camera. If the firmware was updated and that did reset the shutter count, that's pretty much what you're going to get :(

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
hmmmm

I have done firmware updates to the D70, D200 (several times) D300, and D3 and never had the shutter reset, however, it may occur in other bodies, so I can't anything than above.

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum...it has been a long time since I last visited Nikon Cafe.

I recently upgraded to the D7000 (love it!) from a D80 that served me well for 4 years. I have a dear friend who has been wanting a DSLR but doesn't have a lot of money to invest in new equipment so I would like to sell it to her. Both Mac's Preview and CS5 say the shutter actuation count is 6997 which seems extremely low. I thought it would be closer to 20,000-25,000. Is there another program I should use to figure that out (for Mac)?

I use EXIF Viewer http://homepage.mac.com/aozer/EV/index.html

Simple, small and freeware. I have found it to be accurate on D2's, D200's & D300's

Thank you for all the helpful information and links (I downloaded the Mac EXIF viewer). Everything is giving me the same number so I guess that is correct. I let my friend use the D80 for a week. She was very pleased and decided to buy it and I am in love with the D7000. :) Now to finish reading the manual. There have been some great improvements!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom