Shutter count?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by downloader, Aug 14, 2008.

1. downloader

downloader

Jul 25, 2008
    montreal
    Is it possible to tell the shutter count on a d40?

2. I have used two programs....Opanda and Irfanview. Both free downloads. Google them and you can install both or either one. I like Irfanview as it works on raw (NEF) files.

3. violation

violation

Jul 22, 2008
    USA
    i cant find the shutter count on opanda. what am i doing wrong? :confused:

i just downloaded opanda (file named "IExif_2.3_en.exe") and looked through all of the different entries but did not locate shutter count. can someone point it out for me? perhaps i am just being blind.

4. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
  5. exiftool

I use an OLD program for any PC called Exiftool, you can google it and you will find it everywhere. It opens a DOS window when you drop any photo file on the executable and a window pops up loaded with exif info. It's crude but VERY effective, tiny and simple.

Joe

6. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
  7. Click on EXIF tab on top. Scroll down to the bottom. 6 entries up from the bottom you should see 'Total number of releases for Camera".

8. I just downloaded the free and trial-pro version. The free version has the count but I can't find the count in the trial-pro version. Perhaps you're using the trial-pro version and are having the same problems finding it?

regards
    JohnG

9. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas

Yes scroll down close to the bottom and it should have a count.

10. downloader

downloader

Jul 25, 2008
    montreal
    Hey thanks icjogger and junksecret, nice and they work great

11. I have a D40 and use opanda. Just as BubbleChamber states, the 6th thing from the bottom of the EXIF screen.

12. downloader

downloader

Jul 25, 2008
    montreal
    does anyone have any idea what is the shutter count expectancy before the camera dies?

13. rmfnla

rmfnla

Aug 19, 2008
    La-La Land
    Oh great; something else for me to obsess about..! :wink:

14. Delta_Mike

Delta_Mike

Dec 27, 2007
    San Francisco
    Thanks guys! Great tool.

15. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Neat!

I have 11,000 actuation, and assuming 36 frames per film, and £6 per film including development, that means that I would have spent about £2000 on film. So, the camera has saved me money!