Shutter noise?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by strobel, May 4, 2005.

1. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    I have been using the Fuji S2 for about 2 year. Last night after going through the menu on the D2X I fired a few shots around the house (for play) and noticed the loud shutter noise. Is this normal? You can really hear it slam. I did not see a setting like in the S2 for shutter sound (Fuji used sound).

Sorry if this is a silly question.

Ron

2. I've heard the Fuji is abnormally quiet. I've got the S3 but it's my first DSLR so I have no comparison.

3. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    D2H is noticable a lot louder than a D100, I would assume a D2X has about the same noice level. Don't worry too much, you will get used to it, unless it's unacceptably loud, then it might be breaking something inside!

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Ron.the shutters on DLSRs - all of 'em that I've heard, are loud compared to film cameras. I noticed you mentioned menus and 'shutter sound' settings. I have almost no experience with a Fuji, but Nikon cameras do not synthesize shutter sounds - you are hearing a real shutter being fired, then instantaneously cocked for the next shot. The mirror, two metal curtains, as well as the gears, guides, bearings, bushings and races for all that stuff must move one way, stop, reverse direction and stop again in what, a quarter of a millisecond? It's bound to be loud.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    The D2H shutter is noticably louder than the D2X's

I have both, and that's one of the 1st things I notice with the 2X.

6. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Same as my D1X to my ears and wonderful music. A wedding, funeral, or Tiger Woods could cause a noise-free issue. What I do like about my old Olympus E10 and E20 is that you can turn off all sound since the shutter sound is digital. In fact, if you want sound, you can select the shutter slap from among a couple of choices (blonde slap not in selection :lol: )

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    We need synthesized sound here - like a cymbal slap for lines like that!

8. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Hey, background cheering crowd sound works just as well :D

Note cheer, not clap!

9. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    thanks everyone

Makes sense to me, thanks for all the help.

Ron Strobel :D

10. kengo

kengo Guest

I know what you mean, I have been lately covering some golf tournaments, and I can see the players react when the D2H takes a shot, but no reaction when I use the D70.

The bad part about this is, I had to sell my 80-200 to get an 80-400, so they don't hear me anymore.

11. In my mind:
    a. I love the sound. My d100 "swoosh" sound was always kinder and gentler at quiet functions but I was, back then, envious of my friend's F5 sound..no more.
    b. It is a bit too loud
    c. My wife hates it but leaves me alone because I'm always shooting at her social functions and she uses my shots in her newsletter. I went back to my CP4500 a while back and let her deal with the flat light and red eye.

I guess it's the price we pay for utter reliability. How many "darn lousy Nikon shutter reliability" threads have we seen. Somewhere between negligible and never.

12. You gotta be kidding me...that sound is the pure bliss of metal on metal. Like a high RPM machine shifting through its gears. Have you ever shot on continuous at 8fps? It's pure music to my ears as I hose away at my target! When I hear that shutter slamming away, its like discharging an automatic assault rifle and I don't want it to ever end!! 8) 8) :wink: :wink: :p

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh man!!! They have shrinks in LA, right? ;)