Shutter release error message on D2x

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by PeterRH, Oct 9, 2005.

1. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

On turning the power on of my D2x, when I shoot the first frame I then get an 'err' message.

The pic is still taken ok, but to clear the error message I have to press the shutter release again, and it is as if - from the first exposure - the mirror had been left in the 'up' position because the second depression of the release seems to just result in the mirror coming down - no pic taken.

Doesn't matter if I am in single frame or continuous shooting mode.

But from then on all further releases are fine.

Weird and I would take it into my dealer but I don't want to be without the camera for a long time.

Anyone had this problem :confused:

2. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Update

....also posted this over on DPR and Ednaz suggested that he had a similar problem with his D100 which turned out to be bent lens contact pins.

Might be the case with me (only happens on an 85 f/1.8 and a 12-24 f/4, not 70-200VR or 18-70) but what on earth could do this? Lens changing technique? Camera carrying technique.

Odd. I'm off for a week's holiday tomorrow so will continue to observe whilst shooting.

3. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK

The Err message and mirror lock up have been, in the past, a sign that the shutter mechansim is on the blink. This was a problem with the original D2h and Nikon appeared to fix it for free.

I am not saying that is your problem, but a trip to Nikon Service is recommended.

4. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Conclusion

Luckily this wasn't required because the retailer swapped over my camera for a new body.

Truly excellent service from Grays of Westminster, cannot praise them highly enough.

5. Good to hear your problem was solved and that the camera shop stood by their products.

6. so, now, how bout those holiday pics???

7. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Sorry to disappoint....

But I spent a week with the family at a CentreParcs holiday 'campus' and had - literally - almost no time at all with my soon-to-be-replaced D2x body.

If I tell you that I had 10 minutes in the whole week with my camera that should give you an idea...and even then I only had the time to attach and run a test shot with a polariser on my 85 1.8 before my wife and daughters turned up for more swimming pool/water slide 'fun'

[​IMG]

I'm gonna have to go on holiday on my own to get some decent pics!

8. alanglazier

alanglazier Guest

I ran into this thread because I was having this problem. It didn't ever stop my camera from working but it bothered me a bit.

I sent my camera to El Segundo last Tuesday 10/18 UPS Overnight and it arrived back here to me, Friday 10/28, also UPS Overnight. I haven't had a chance to test it with a lens, but it appears to be fine. I am very satisfied with Nikon Service turnaround. Particularly considering that they had the D2h/D70 service advisory out right now. When I spoke with them on the phone, they said they try for a 7 day turnaround.

Alan