Shutter release priority on D50 question?

B

Bill N

I was messing around with a d50 and trying to figure out if it could be set up to release shutter without "focus confirmation" indicator lit. My thinking was that I could set AE button to "AF On" and then set focus to C. I could then focus on something with AF button, recompose and use shutter release button to release shutter. I know other cameras I have used would release shutter even if not in focus if in C mode for AF. I can't for the life of me figure out how to set up the d50 to do this. No matter what AF mode it is in the shutter won't fire until focus is obtained with which ever focus point is set. Maybe I can't. Any ideas? Thanks, Bill

I was messing around with a d50 and trying to figure out if it could be set up to release shutter without "focus confirmation" indicator lit. My thinking was that I could set AE button to "AF On" and then set focus to C. I could then focus on something with AF button, recompose and use shutter release button to release shutter. I know other cameras I have used would release shutter even if not in focus if in C mode for AF. I can't for the life of me figure out how to set up the d50 to do this. No matter what AF mode it is in the shutter won't fire until focus is obtained with which ever focus point is set. Maybe I can't. Any ideas? Thanks, Bill
I would think AF-C would make it keep trying to focus , try putting it on AF-S .

B

Bill N

Thanks Desmond. What I found "kind of works" is to indeed use AF-S with AE button set to AF on. The only way this will work though, is that the AF on button needs to be held in while re-composing. Other wise the AF indicator light goes out and the shutter won't release.
Just trying to cheat and add imaginary focus points sort of. I guess I will just stick to the half press on shutter button and then frame my picture as I want. Thanks, Bill

Thanks Desmond. What I found "kind of works" is to indeed use AF-S with AE button set to AF on. The only way this will work though, is that the AF on button needs to be held in while re-composing. Other wise the AF indicator light goes out and the shutter won't release.
Just trying to cheat and add imaginary focus points sort of. I guess I will just stick to the half press on shutter button and then frame my picture as I want. Thanks, Bill
I've set my cameras so that the AE/AF button only locks exposure and the shutter release locks focus . That way I can decide which I want to lock and when .

B

Bill N

I've set my cameras so that the AE/AF button only locks exposure and the shutter release locks focus . That way I can decide which I want to lock and when .
That is where my camera is set to now, as it has been in the past. I just had it in my head to try something a little different. Probably not a good thing to try and do at my age!:eek: Take care, Bill

After reading your first post again , the only way to fire the shutter without focus confirmation on is to have it set to manual focus .

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom