Shutter Won't Depress

In certain situations, inside a training building that I have a lot of shoots, my D4 will all of a sudden have a shutter freeze up...And I am not getting the focus for motion shots I would expect in this building. This session, I set the white balance for florescent lighting in hopes that would help. Not.
These are my settings:

On my D4, a1 AF-C priority selection is set to Release.
a2 AF-S is set fo Focus.

I got this picture...but it is the area I experience the most shutter freeze.

8237324486_7f473de071_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 100 mm
ISO Speed 1250
Exposure Bias +2/3 EV

Action shot too much blur Occasional shutter freeze (continuous shots have loaded.)

View attachment 1122654

Exposure 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 200 mm
ISO Speed 1250
Exposure Bias +2/3 EV

Should I be calling Nikon Repair?

Attachments

• 8236257425_4708fc7e09_b.png
    8236257425_4708fc7e09_b.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 8236257425_4708fc7e09_b.png
    8236257425_4708fc7e09_b.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 33
Shutter really won't depress, or just that when you depress NOTHING.

I can relate, has happened to me multiple times. Unfortunantly I can't pinpoint any systematic reason. THe one theme for them all was doing spot focus sometimes in single sometimes in continuous 9, 21 or 51, yes all three modes. I do know a couple of those times I was reviewing a picture ( I don't have review on as a default ) then turned to shoot and nothing either. DId try pressing multiple times, missed the moment :mad: THen would turn on and off and seemed okay again. I've uploaded the latest firm wear and at least last night no hiccups.

Clearly the latest generation of cameras of which I have 2 of the 3 aren't at all like all the others I've had. Really makes me wonder if I should have just gone white with the 1DX.. I'm reading some good blogs from some photographers on it.

This is how my D4 started to miss focus. I can't say that the shutter didn't respond, but it really seemed to lag. Over time, the camera seemed to get worse. I could view the images in NX2 and there was clearly a focus lock point, but the image was extremely soft.

On your second image, your shutter speed is way too low. You could easily bump up ISO to get a faster shutter speed. I'll be sure to post when I get my D4 back from service, as I am anxious to see what part(s) were replaced. Oh, and on a second note, don't bother calling Nikon, they are of absolutely no help.

Shutter really won't depress, or just that when you depress NOTHING.

I can relate, has happened to me multiple times. Unfortunantly I can't pinpoint any systematic reason. THe one theme for them all was doing spot focus sometimes in single sometimes in continuous 9, 21 or 51, yes all three modes. I do know a couple of those times I was reviewing a picture ( I don't have review on as a default ) then turned to shoot and nothing either. DId try pressing multiple times, missed the moment :mad: THen would turn on and off and seemed okay again. I've uploaded the latest firm wear and at least last night no hiccups.

Clearly the latest generation of cameras of which I have 2 of the 3 aren't at all like all the others I've had. Really makes me wonder if I should have just gone white with the 1DX.. I'm reading some good blogs from some photographers on it.

The shutter will not depress at all...and of course, no focus. I point the camera in another direction and it is fine! Bizarre, never had this happen with my D700. I got this camera for speed and low light...but I need to get the shots:frown:

Well! Stupid me. Seems I had the camera set for AF-S! Reset to AF-C D51. Can't even think when I did that and why! I normally set for matrix metering unless I am shooting a portrait...face, flower, etc.

This is how my D4 started to miss focus. I can't say that the shutter didn't respond, but it really seemed to lag. Over time, the camera seemed to get worse. I could view the images in NX2 and there was clearly a focus lock point, but the image was extremely soft.

On your second image, your shutter speed is way too low. You could easily bump up ISO to get a faster shutter speed. I'll be sure to post when I get my D4 back from service, as I am anxious to see what part(s) were replaced. Oh, and on a second note, don't bother calling Nikon, they are of absolutely no help.

For outside I do well with action setting ISO at 1000-1250. I will bump up in this building. Maybe now that I reset the AF it won't give me so much trouble. Hopefully I can figure out what I've done wrong...and won't have to send to Nikon. I have one more GSD training class I can practice moving shots in this building.

Thank you!

Real Name
Randy
The shutter will not depress at all...and of course, no focus. I point the camera in another direction and it is fine! Bizarre, never had this happen with my D700. I got this camera for speed and low light...but I need to get the shots:frown:

Well! Stupid me. Seems I had the camera set for AF-S! Reset to AF-C D51. Can't even think when I did that and why! I normally set for matrix metering unless I am shooting a portrait...face, flower, etc.

For outside I do well with action setting ISO at 1000-1250. I will bump up in this building. Maybe now that I reset the AF it won't give me so much trouble. Hopefully I can figure out what I've done wrong...and won't have to send to Nikon. I have one more GSD training class I can practice moving shots in this building.

Thank you!

try afc D9, much faster and way more accurate on the d4 and d800

in weird/low light try shootig manual and turn auto iso on, set aperture and ss to what you want, make sure you set iso to 200 just in case it needs to go that low......

Also make sure you have the latest firmware there was a software glitch in the early D4 models that caused the camera to occasionally lock up.

Also make sure you have the latest firmware there was a software glitch in the early D4 models that caused the camera to occasionally lock up.

Thanks Rich...I always update firmware. So that is not the issue. In fact, I am now thrilled I can use my TCs!

try afc D9, much faster and way more accurate on the d4 and d800

in weird/low light try shootig manual and turn auto iso on, set aperture and ss to what you want, make sure you set iso to 200 just in case it needs to go that low......

Randy, took your hint and switched to AF-C D9...will test out on sm. birds. Shooting manual at dog performance events would be kind of hard, unless I was shooting at just one spot.

Randy, took your hint and switched to AF-C D9...will test out on sm. birds. Shooting manual at dog performance events would be kind of hard, unless I was shooting at just one spot.

Why would shooting in manual be hard? This is a common sports shooter technique, which is what you are doing. I'm assuming you want a wide aperture to isolate the subject from the background, and a fairly high shutter speed to stop the action. The Auto-Iso setting is the variable that will adjust based upon changing light conditions. Give it a try!

Why would shooting in manual be hard? This is a common sports shooter technique, which is what you are doing. I'm assuming you want a wide aperture to isolate the subject from the background, and a fairly high shutter speed to stop the action. The Auto-Iso setting is the variable that will adjust based upon changing light conditions. Give it a try!

+1

Wow, thank you, you all have been so very helpful! Can't wait to give this a try. I have never used manual mode for action shots!

Below are a few small bird shots at the AF-C D9 setting. I think this made a big improvement. I used a 2xTC and did on occasion have to assist in focusing, but in all, not too bad. These are very cropped!

The bad part is my forgetting to reset my camera after a specific use!!

Real Name
Dan
...Shooting manual at dog performance events would be kind of hard, unless I was shooting at just one spot.
Actually it is the opposite. It is very easy. That assumes the dog is what you want properly exposed. You adjust your settings to properly expose the subject and live with what you get for background exposure. Or correct it after the fact if it's important to you. I frequently shoot birds in flight and would blow many shots if I shot auto exposure. One second the backround might be dark green trees and the next frame bright sky.

One thing with the D4 is that you don't need to worry about the high ISO. It is incredible all the way up to 3200, easily correctible up to 6400 (some argue even higher). If you crank the ISO up a bit and set f-stop where you want it, you can swing shutter speed enough to compensate for white/black dogs. So while you're shooting that's only one variable you need to worry about. Just food for thought. We each have to come up with a method that works for our individual needs. This works for me because all I have to do is look at the meter in the view finder and move my thumb to make adjustments.

I had the same problem with the shutter on one shoot. I ALMOST always shoot AF-C, shutter priority (or whatever Nikon calls it). For some reason which I couldn't even remember doing, I had reset the camera to AF-S which was still set to focus priority by default. Took me several minutes of frustration and missed shots to finally check the setting that I "never" change. :redface:

Dan, thank you. I am trying out some shots on the small birds...weather turned to pouring rain. Hope for better tomorrow. How do you manually focus so quickly on these moving objects? I am missing something, I am sure. Got some partial flight pics...not like shooting the big birds;)) Lots of OOfs! Try again tomorrow hopefully better light. So far I am at 60 shutter speed/1250 ISO/f/8.

I can't speak for Dan, but I think you are confusing auto exposure with auto focus. 'Shooting manual' means manual exposure, but you still can use autofocus.

Real Name
Dan
Sorry for the confusion. Manual exposure settings but definately auto focus. No if I had to do manual focus I would be strictly a landscape photographer. Maybe flowers too :smile:

The bad part is my forgetting to reset my camera after a specific use!!

You don't need to if you use the custom setting banks

eg program bank a for single focus, program bank b for 9 pt continuous focus, program bank c for 51pt 3d continuous focus or whatever, then just switch banks to suit rather than resetting the camera

You don't need to if you use the custom setting banks

eg program bank a for single focus, program bank b for 9 pt continuous focus, program bank c for 51pt 3d continuous focus or whatever, then just switch banks to suit rather than resetting the camera

Hi, I do have my banks set up for Landscape, Portraits, Action, and Default...I used the D4 SetUp Guide...forget the name of the photographer that offers these. But I always end up changing the settings to suit the moment. Your idea seems better. But, as I said...being a Sr. Citizen, I forget to change banks and settings:eek:

This morning I took some sm. bird shots around my yard using manual/AF-C.
I do believe these are an improvement in clarity. Will be interested to see how this setting works with the dogs, particularly in the training building where I had the shutter problem.

I noticed that one of these pics was not shot manual, but aperture mode.

8247536571_e81c921a49_c.jpg

8248604222_79004f2482_c.jpg

8247536449_1d2272a5e7_c.jpg

Ooops Fluffy Birdy
8247536201_ede300d7f6_c.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom