Shuttle Launch in August

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Markb, Jul 20, 2007.

1. I'm mulling over a potential spur of the moment trip down to Cape Canaveral for the August 7th launch of the space shuttle, or maybe the September launch...

But in any event, I wonder if some of the forum members who have done this might have some tips... for example, lens suggestions, what time to get up for the best vantage points, is it worth while to stay outside of town and drive in....

In any event, suggestions from members who've been there done that would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mark, get a hold of Gale. She's the expert on this!

3. No kidding, Gale is the pro for this subject.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yup
    Launch lady:>))
    August 7th Think it is 7:02 Pm (Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise) lolol

Next one after that is, in October I believe per the web site.
    Give me a hollar if coming down.
    Our group grows with each launch and we have one heck of a good time
    Got a good spot at the river across from the launch pad
    Need longgggggggggggggggggg glass:>)))

5. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Gale, I'm very interested, please let me know the details for the August 7 trip

Thanks,
    Stephanie

6. Would a 600mm Nikon AFS II be enough or is an extender needed. Also with the light and engine plume would 100ISO, f4-f5.6 @ 250th be about right?

7. Mark, in my previous job,

I worked with the Shuttle imagery team and had the opportunity to solicit some expert advice from one of the head photographers on the Program. Here is what he had to say:

"I use 1/250 at f8 as a base exposure and use 100 ISO for daylight and 400 ISO for night. Of course if there is full sunlight for example, an afternoon launch I use 1/250 at whatever f-stop is appropriate for the time of day and the lighting direction. The 1/250 at f8 advice covers situations where the ambient light is at or below that exposure level, usually late afternoon to early morning."

I have asked him for lens suggestions, but have not yet heard back as to what his preferences would be.

Also, please check out this site: http://www.launchphotography.com Mr. Cooper has had a tremendous amount of experience imaging all sorts of launches and he is very willing to share his knowledge as well.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    PM me if you want to meet up at where I shoot.

9. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Yep, Gale's the lady to know when it comes to the Shuttle Launch! Patrick and I have been down for two already. Once for a day shoot last year on July 4th and then for a night shoot sometime back in early December. Gale is a great lady and lots of fun to hang out with. We are looking forward to going back down again!

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank you Leigh
    You guys are the greatest:>))
    Hope you can get back down and spend some time in the area.....

11. Gale, Joe, everybody:

Thanks for the tips and advice. As I said, I was hoping to make a spontaneous trip, but darnit, the job that pays for the trip got in the way today, so I won't be able to make this launch.

But I will be down for one soon, and will let you know when.

Again, thank you for the help.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Mark,
    Look foward to anytime you can make it:>))))

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi John
    If you have an tc for that 600mm it would be good:>))

Fast shutter speed and ISO 100 would be good.
    Remember your shooting into the brightest lightbulb on earth (so to speak)
    Until it gains some altitude

http://www.pbase.com/techwish/space_shuttle_

I am not sure I have it figured out yet myself

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi John
    If you have an tc for that 600mm it would be good:>))
    12 miles across the river

Fast shutter speed and ISO 100 would be good.
    Remember your shooting into the brightest lightbulb on earth (so to speak)
    Until it gains some altitude

http://www.pbase.com/techwish/space_shuttle_

I am not sure I have it figured out yet myself

15. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Gale, I am up to a 400 only but I got a 2x tele, would I only get a speck of it?

Stephanie

16. yoza717

yoza717

Dec 23, 2006
    Palm Bay, FL
    Hey Gale,
    If you have room in your group for one more...I'd like to try to take some shots closer to where I normally shoot from (SR 520). That is where I shot my avatar from. I used a 10-20mm sigma to get that night shot.

17. Wouldn't it be neat if MI V could be scheduled the same week as a launch - I'd kill 2 birds with one stone...

18. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Launch delayed by one day

Just FYI

"NASA has delayed next week's launch of space shuttle Endeavour by one day because of unexpected work to fix a leak in the crew cabin, officials said Friday.

Liftoff is now set for Wednesday evening."

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Manny it would be gret to meet up with you.

Give me a call.
    I will drop you a PM.