Shy birds:

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Nikam, Jan 4, 2006.

1. These Cassin's Finches are quite shy. I caught them briefly sunning themselves in a blue spruce in our yard. They don't stay out in the open for long as there are lots of Magpies about as witnessed by the 2nd pic.

In the tree in my front yard:

Across the road in my neighours tree:

Finally one more Trumpeter - this one from yesterday out in the middle of the river:

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice series Dennis. I especially like the second one. I don't believe that I've seen this species before.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Dennis,
    I love the trees and composition of the first two. Just wonderful shots.
    Nice to have these so close to you....

4. I love the second shots what a great picture never saw one before

5. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Very captures, Dennis. we have a lot of yellow-billed Magpies here

6. Thanks, Frank. The black-billed magpies are very common around here and live in the area year-round. They are a nice bird to look at, but the only problem is that they will prey on the smaller birds given the opportunity.

7. Thanks, Gale. Both species live here year-round although I believe the finches are still here at this time of year because of neighbouring bird feeders . I got a new bird feeder for christmas. Haven't put it up yet, but I will soon be contributing to their welfare.

8. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Dennis! I also don't think I've seen a magpie before. Thanks for sharing.

9. Thanks Mike. Magpies are a Western species. They are as common as crows around here.

10. Thanks, John. From my field book, the yellow-billed version have a much smaller range. They are also a bit smaller bird I gather. Are they quite common down your way?

11. Thanks, Don. My field guide shows their range extending to the northwest corner of Texas - the opposite corner of your state.

12. Hi Dennis

The Yellow-billed Magpies are only found in a small section of California. They may be common in certain areas there, but they are not a common bird. When I was down there on a birding trip many years ago, we had a tough time finding even one, and one was all that we saw. I guess the local birders would know where the larger numbers are. They are slightly smaller than the Black-billed and a bit slimmer looking.

Are you sure those first finches are Cassin's? I have photographed both, but yours look a lot more like House Finches to me, but they are fairly similar. Maybe you don't have House Finches in your area?

Cheers

Tim