SI Yankees Pictures

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by twig, Jul 1, 2005.

1. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Hello,

These are my first pics from the SI Yankees game,

http://www.nycsportingnews.com

Let me know what you think, I had a fantastic time, I used the 70-200VR at times with a 1.4TC.

Something is off with focusing on my 70-200 at a distance, it's weird, AF works but the pictures are all just fuzzy! Another words if I change where I focus the lens shifts into a different place, but always just sorts off focus. I checked for front or back focus (you know you can see which plane of the grass is sharp), but nothing is really sharp, there is no plane of greater sharpness, I focused on the words on jerseys and hats, even at high shutter with no luck.

Close up, sharp as a tack, lovely portraits. Any of you guys had this happen before (my lens was cherry a month ago, but does get used)-- think a lens could get bumped and go perma-soft at long focal lengths but be fine wider open or closer up?

Anyway, off to Nikon service I think, as my 28-200G proved sharp, my 17-55 is sharp but I only use it for close up work.

About to pull trigger on 300/2.8VR lens, I figure if I want to play with the big boys I have to carry big glass... thoughts, comments?

Here are two examples of lovely sharp focus from the 70-200 at the short end of the range, some portraits I like for a feature article on Jon Poterson, a hard hitting right fielder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Twig....First off, nice job with the images and having them placed on the S.I. site. I would be absolutely thrilled beyond belief to someday have a similar opportunity. :D

With regard to some image softness...the images that you posted of Poterson look pretty good to me on this cheapo flat panel monitor. I have not experienced soft images with my 70-200 VR so I don't know how to help with your concern. :shock:

One thing for sure...you did a great job making their site...Congrats!! :D