Sialia sialis

Discussion in 'Birds' started by dmwphoto, May 1, 2005.

1. It took several hours to get these, but it was fun watching the take turns bringing home the groceries to feed the young.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [/img]

2. edited version

[​IMG]

3. Great catches in flight. I'm trying to do that now with small birds, they are so danged fast.....

4. Thanks Bill. With your feeder set up now it should be easier. Turn off the auto focus on the shutter release, pre focus and adjust your settings ( i used shutter priority at the highest speed I could get a good exposure) set the tripod head not to move and wait.................................................... put the shutter on continuos high and blast away as they fly in. I do not even look thru the viewfinder, I simply watch over the camera for approaching flyers. Hope this is useful.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great catches for sure. The feathers on the second one are really nice.

yum yum on the dinner.....lol That is a really good one. I can't even get the big ones flying.

Need longer glass. 400 is ok but not always.

Good job.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots Dave. It is very hard to get flight shots of these little critters, and you've done pretty well.

Frank

7. Cool series, Dave. Your second shot is just fantastically graceful (can I say that?). Good going!! :D :D :D :D

8. Dave was that with the 200-400?

I'm thinking of buying that lens. What do you think of it? Do you feel you need more reach.

I have the 1.4 and 1.7 convertors, but of course you lose light and shutter speed with those!

9. Daniel,
    These were shot with the 200-400 vr with 1.4 converter. Reach was good for this series. LOVE this lens!

10. Time well spent I would say Dave.

11. Dave,

Good catches. Thank for the tech tip. I will try that tomorrow on my bird feeders if the damn meteo can clear out.