Sick shooting

Discussion in 'Birds' started by PJohnP, Feb 19, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I’ve been fighting a rather nasty respiratory bug for about two weeks. It’s meant that I had to cancel two business trips, but more irritatingly, it’s kept me from doing much photography in that interval. When I haven’t been in bed, I’ve processed a few older shots, but I’ve chafed with the strictures of staying indoors.

This morning, after a night of heavy rains, the dawn came with streaks of sunlight through dark clouds. The high mountains were carpeted with deep snow, but the remaining snows here in town had been washed away by the rain. Looking out a tall very narrow window immediately next to the bedroom door to the deck, I spied a scrub jay perched close by atop an aspen pole where I suspend the hummingbird feeder in season.

I quietly stepped back into my study, attached the 200-400mm AFS/VR and stealthily snuck back to the window. There’s an adobe coloured house about sixty yards distant that I thought I could lose with an open aperture for the lens, albeit with some degradation in sharpness of the image. Snap, snap, snap.

[​IMG]
    D100, ISO200, f/4, 1/250s, processed in NC, no crop

Sick or not, always shoot.

John P.

2. For some reason I got a kick out of this shot. If you look at it the beak could be a long nose and the mouth is the black streak underneath the beak that is turned down in a grumpy fashion. He looks old, almost like he has settled in and a bit pudgy in the middle. OK, I am making too much of an other wise great shot. It gave me a smile.

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gordon :

Well, that's about the nicest thing I've heard all day. Speaking of pudgy in the middle, here's another of the "snap, snap, snap", but perhaps showing a bit different profile...

[​IMG]
    D100, 200-400mm AFS/VR, f/4, 1/400s, processed in NC, cropped slightly

This last shot had some dawn light flickering across the area, so the background is a touch different. And look at that bokeh, eh?

John P.

4. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    John,

You can't beat the sharpness and bokeh of the 200-400mm VR can you? It's a wonderful lens. Great bird capture.

Sorry Mike Worley and I missed you in Bosque in January. We had several great days of shooting there and in White Sands.

Joe

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Joe :

It sure does great work, eh ? Pity the darned thing costs so much. It's just handholdable, but it can be used that way.

As for the last go arounds, we'll cross paths again. I'll get you out to some less trafficked but equally interesting spots in NM for some fun shooting.

John P.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    John,

Love those colors. Great shot. Scrub Jay. Wow what color hues you captured to add to this bird.

Good work

cheers
    Gale

7. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Great shot John. It must be something about being ill and scrubjays.

I was layed up with an achilles operation over Xmas/New Year and couldn't walk, let alone shoot. I did convince my wife to set me up on our deck in a chair (got there myself on crutches) and she brought me out my tripod, camera and 80-400mm. The only bird that was really cooperative was a scrub jay (will just post a link rather than the image - don't want to hijack your thread):

http://www.motifwebs.com/gallery/birds_2005/scrubjay_15jan05_ndsc6370

Neil

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Neil :

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

No problem with me about people posting images in a thread I start... We're a bit more relaxed over here than in DPR, where I'd have to reach through the screen to grab your throat and... Well. Ahem. Anyway.

Great image you linked, I must say.

John P.

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gale :

Golden hour shooting. Dawn and dusk are just great times. I could "correct" the colour to make all the tones neutral, but the warmth of the time is what's fun for me.

And you were busy this weekend while I was coughing and wheezing. More shots to send our way ?

John P.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    John,

I could not agree more < Beautiful.

Neil came up with a great one also.

All you guys are so good. Wonder how long it will take me to learn. :<(

Cheers
    Gale

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gale :

You count yourself far too short. Your photos from this weekend are firstrate.

John P.

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots John. I'm starting to fall in lust with that lens.... :? :wink: :lol:

Your response to Neil was spot on. We *are* a bit more relaxed here, huh? 8) :lol:

Regards,

Frank