Side-effect of our White Balance studies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iliah, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    When you use preset white balance, camera determines ratio of R to B, assuming G is at "1". When you adjust using post-processing, it is an approximation. So, and Nikon confirmed it, the best metods are still pre-set or direct K dial after using hand-held colormeter. Not to mention that D2x actually applies white balance to RAW files.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Iliah, to continue, maybe complete, our discussion from "that other place" regarding color temp meters. For anyone who doesn't remember, or who may care to chime in, I am thinking about purchasing a Color Temp Meter to use with my D2H, as much outdoors as in. I have a couple of reasons for this. THe first, obviously, is to be as "correct" as I can be for WB. THe other reason is to try to educate my eye and brain to "see" about what temperature I am in. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

I am seeing a Minota Color Meter II and a Minolta Color Meter III F on eBay at this time, at least a $300 difference between them. As I recall you advised me to ignore the much less expensive Gossen SixtiColor and SixtoMat.

Any thoughts on the Minolta II vs. the III? Or any ideas on where else to find one of these? I really don't want to spend $1000 and up on a new one...

Thanks,

3. Drat, that "Guest" was, and still is....

me. Got caught by the "can post when not logged in" annoyance. TIme to send a message to Patrick and Frank I think.....

4. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Hi Bill,

II is very good, unless you want to meter for flash, or for flash/ambient mix. The flash-metering accessory for II - it was waisted money for me, especially useless with studio flash lights.

5. Thanks, Iliah, I think I will grab one. KEH has one for $245 and one for $275, beats messing with eBay :lol:

6. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Bill,

Absolutely. I love KEH.