1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

The 950 again. Common wisdom says don't shoot IR on a cloudy day. I did and turned up the contrast.

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Nice colours. Of course there are plenty to shoot with IR even on cloudy days. Problem is the sky which turns into a white blanket. Avoid the sky and you are just fine.

I even shoot IR indoors, and during night (but then I use a more IR-sensitive camera than the 950 :))

3. Simply amazing!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks guys! I appreciate your viewing and encouragement.

Bjorn, what kind of IR camera do you use? One that has had the IR blocking filter removed?

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Two in fact both of which have had the IR-blocking filter removed. These are an old D1 (which has very high IR sensitivity) and a D70 (very nice, not equally sensitive to IR but much better than any non-modified camera, also useable for UV shooting).

I do have the Coolpix 950also, but for reasons of sentimentality I have let it avoid the filter surgery.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey Paul, Yeah, film... :) HIE is/was glorious stuff - just using it created a mood all it's own, with the ghostly glow and golf-ball grain that digital just can't pull off. I still have a few rolls of it in my fridge waiting for me to hit a chemical mood.

But a D1 Bjorn, hmmmm. :)

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Doesn't autofocus fix that anyway?

11. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I use only manual-focus lenses, mainly 28 mm. This is to avoid "hot-spots" in the image, which is a problem with many of hte modern elaborate optical designs.

AF would not correct for the missing internal filter, by the way (the AF sensor doesn't know that the filter isn't there :))

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Duh, yeah (scratching head.) I guess I was still thinking of the 950. On a digicam, is the AF done through the image sensor? If so, can I just rip out the bluish IR cut filter and replace it with a little piece of 89b gelatin? Or do I need a glass spacer?

14. My turn to chime in....Chris you have outdone yourself this time. This is one of the best IR photos I have seen, Wow is all I can say, Keep them coming

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow! Thanks Melissa!

That 950 remains an unexpected gem. It's my main IR camera, as well as fitting right onto the eyepieces of my little telescope. Try as I might to put it away in favor of my DSLR, I just cannot stop from pulling it out.