Shootout Siggy vs. Nikon - a one-shot 50 1.4 shootout

Bokeh is more round, smoother in #2, I think that's the Sigma. But the Canon sign is rotated in the 2nd shot, so maybe the angle is different.

Shots #1 & #2 are definitely not repeats. Look, there's a woman's head in #1, and she's not there in #2...
BTW, I like #1 in the first 2 sets, but the bokeh of #2 in the third set.

Looks like we've got a pretty knowledgable bunch around here. Everyone got it right - except carauction (Sorry Mike).

The first shot is from the Nikon 50 1.4.
The second was shot with the Sigma.

I hate to admit that the Sigma outperforms the Nikon (especially since I bought the Nikon), but when I did it was $399 minus $20 cashback.

Since the Sigma is $499 now, I don't feel too bad...

W

Wileec

It's my understanding there tends to be more sample variety among Sigma lenses. They can be good, if you get a good sample, but some have had to swap two or three lenses with their vendor of choice, before getting a sample they could live with.

Does this ring true for people in this thread - regarding this lens?

Honestly, I have leaned away from Sigma due to that since I have no local supplier and not excited about having to ship a few copies back and forth to get a decent one.

Looks like we've got a pretty knowledgable bunch around here. Everyone got it right - except carauction (Sorry Mike).

The first shot is from the Nikon 50 1.4.
The second was shot with the Sigma.

Yeah, but you changed things or something like that. And your friend winked when you were shooting...it was fixed I tell ya:smile:

Mike

#1 is Nikon
#2 is Sigma

I also prefer the Sigma, but I'd still get the Nikon as it's a Nikon :smile:

dL

Nikon... Sigma... I'd say Sigma looks a fair bit better to my eyes...

... But look how blurry the Canon is! :biggrin:

Cheers,

-Yamo-

I'm sticking with my earlier preference for the #1 in the first 2 shots, and #2 in the third (bokeh). But they are verrrry similar, aren't they.
I'd like to see a comparison out of the camera shop in some good light before I make up my mind for good.
I just bought a Nikon 50 1.4 a couple months ago (the AF-D, not the G) and definitely am without regrets. Even if these lenses turn out to be technical equals, I still will prefer the size and weight of the Nikon.

Latest threads

Top Bottom