1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 10-20 gets a vacation!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by avyoung, Jul 18, 2008.

1. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    My Sigma 10-20 finally gets a workout while we toured Washington state, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. With three little boys, it was hard for me to take any serious photos (I couldn't get out at sunrise/sunset or use my tripod), but the lens still produced some memorable shots. Here are a few:

2679228768_0a073981d6_b.
    10mm; F11; Monkeyflowers and cindercone (with hikers ontop) at Craters of the Moon National Monument. (Fantastic place btw)

2663717286_13fdacfb1f_b.
    10mm; F11; Minigolf anyone? My wife, Rota, cleans up. Kamp KOA in Whitefish, Montana.

2678431879_a333a378b3_b.
    10mm: F11; Methow River, Winthrop, WA. Nice little mining town just east of the North Cascade Mountains.

2664235185_dae6971a7d_b.
    10mm; F11; Old Faithul Geyser performs, while my son Markus climbs a fallen tree.

2678429099_beb48525e3_b.
    20mm; F11; Canyon country in Yellowstone Park.

2679232654_658fafecab_b.
    14mm; F11; Mammoth Springs in Yellowstone Park.

2678413121_02d63fa0b7_b.
    10mm; F11; Glacier National Park.

2679237244_7bc1771a7b_b.
    20mm; F11; 8 images stitched together in CS3; Glacier National Park.

2689441409_b11c71c0cf_b.
    10mm; F4.0; 1sec; Camping in the middle of nowhere, Idaho. Handheld! No tripod!

Thanks for looking!
    Comments/suggestions of course welcome!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  2. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    Montana is my favorite state

your car is on fire in the last one

3. wow

very cool stuff, that perspective does really well even with portraiture, it just has a different feel and I like it !

4. Great images, looks like you really enjoyed the vacation.

5. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Compositionally speaking, these are all quite strong - but number 4? That one is a prize winner!

6. TstarJ

TstarJ

Jul 9, 2008
    Eastern Ontario
    Great shots Alan. I like no. 3. the expression on their face is priceless. I love no. 4 too for composition. Good use of fill-in flash in some of the pictures.

Jack

7. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Thanks for the comments!

:smile:
    Yes I sacraficed the car to get a slightly better picture.:tongue: My two flashes had 1/2 CTO gels that I centered the wb to (3800k), but the tungsten bulbs in the car interior probably under 2000k.

Montana was beautiful; the highways were amazing (fast!); people were incredibly friendly.

The road trip was even better than I thought it would be!

Just before I went on vacation, I practiced for a week to see how to use 10mm (previously in 35mm, the widest I used was 20mm), and I am glad I did. I am used to filling the frame, but with the 10mm an people, I found out distortion is too high if you are anywhere near the edges. Here is the thread where I asked for Cafe member's help with use of the ultrawide and people.
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=174181

Secretly, this is my favorite (it took pretty much all I knew about photography and PP to get this shot). However, I know from the past experience that my favorites are often related to how technically difficult a picture was to get, rather than the quality of the image itself. Thanks for sharing with me; you made my day!

I used an SB800 set to master on camera (as fill), and had a SB800 in my pocket that I took out whenever I felt a remote flash could improve the shot. The second flash was very useful. In the past, I relied on the flip up flash as commander, but I found the 1/250 or 1/320sec max flash speed too limiting. The high speed FP sync mode with a SB800 allowed me to use wide aperatures in bright light and still use a remote flash if I wanted.

I forgot to take my tripod on the trip, so I used a stabilizing weight on shoulders to steady all my shots. Sorry if some of them have a bit of motion blur! :wink:
    2680134526_c662d51926_b.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. Great series Alan and some great memories for you from your fun trip! The superwides are fun for more things than landscapes, these show that potential well.

9. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    Nice shots. I wish I was there.

10. andrzejmakal

andrzejmakal

Apr 30, 2008
    Poland
    Amazing! Congrats!!!
    Regards

11. Hotplate

Hotplate

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Some great shots Alan. Reminds me I need to work more with my Sigma 10-20. Also reminds me I need a vacation.. 8)

12. alan,
    very nice work
    i like it a lot
    thanks for sharing it with us

13. sinigang619

sinigang619

Aug 8, 2007
    San Diego
    Nice pics. It looks like you had a lot of fun.

14. Cameron

Cameron Guest

Great shots, what a beautiful place.
    I have the Tokina 12~24 and they are quite similar.
    I just love the range of this type lens, they are so much fun.

15. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    When deciding which lenses to take...

I knew I wanted to take the Sigma 10-20 with me (traditionally I love wide for landscapes), but was unsure if I should take my standard lens, Tamron 17-50/2.8 (an obvious choice for family shots on vacation). I for sure wanted my Sigma 50-150/2.8 in my bag, but I thought if I took the Tamron, I would not use the other lenses very much as I would just keep going back and forth from 17 to 50mm and not switching out lenses for the sake of convenience.

Instead I took my Sigma 30/1.4 for low light situations, leaving the Tamron 17-50 at home. This decision forced me to live with the Sigma 10-20 on the camera and switch out to the telephoto when needed: just what I needed to push me to live with the ultrawide and get to know it.

I'm glad I did, as it made me come up with more interesting ultrawide family shots instead of going with some sort of normal perspective. The ultrawide also made it quite easy to get family and surroundings in focus. I just set the lens to F11 and the hyperfocal distance and played with composition or flash/lighting ratios. The telephoto lens really contrasted the ultrawide well and gave me a set of pictures that had feeling of variety.

Previously, not only did I not have a vision for family pictures with the ultrawide but I also was not sure I could swap out lenses conveniently with the young children. After this positive experience, I don't think I would hesitate to take the ultrawide out on family vacations in the future. In fact, I now pack the ultrawide more around town too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.