1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 10-20, is my choice OK?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ccroy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Could not resist more.

Just ordered the Sigma 10-20. I have been wanting to buy wide angle for landscapes. The widest I have now is the 18-55 kit lens. Though I have no compliants about the kit lens, which served me well for the last two years and I could shoot some decent pictures, I am handicapped due to the lack of a lens wider than that. I poured over many reviews and posts and finally decided to go for the Sigma. One main reason is that it is the only brand in that category available new here and the pice is the equivalent of USD.550.00all inclusive. After ordering also I am very sceptical, since I have heard about lot of sample variations and quality issues. The seller says those issues were there some time ago but there are no such compliants now and the EX line currently is very good.

Have I made the right choice?

2. I'm not sure about sample varieties - but I am very happy with mine. I bought it for landscape photography as well.

3. Yes, you have. I waited for 1.5 years until I purchased my copy this January, it quickly became a member of my core lens kit (18-55 VR, 10-20, 70-200 VR). I was afraid to get a bad copy and purchased it at a local dealer. When I picked it up I tested it on site and did not find any sample issues.

I have taken many pictures with the 10-20, often at 10 mm. That's a point in favor of the Sigma since no other DX ultra-wide angle lens has such a wide angle of view.

Here's a selection of my Sigma images at Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26088600@N08/tags/sigma1020456/

Good luck!

4. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Heck yeah, you did! This used to be one of my favorite lenses. Very fun to shoot. I did have to send mine in for focus calibration, but after that, it was as good as gold :smile:

6. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I had this lens for a while, untill I left it on the ground and walked away:confused: . The capture's I made when I had it on my D2H where really cool. Im planning to get a Nikkor 15 mm 3.5 AIS to get the same angle of veiw on my D3/F4S.

Gregory

7. Iotatau, thanks for the input. It is going to be delivered in a day or two. Please guide me about on site testing. I mean what to look for.

8. I won't say you made "the right choice," but you made a fine choice. You really can't go wrong with any of the options in this category. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

I've had mine for a year and a half. It's my favorite, if not my most used, lens. A year ago you couldn't find them in stock anywhere. That should tell you something.

I'm sure your lens will be fine. Just test it if you're unsure.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008
  9. It's a great lens. I never should have sold mine...if that's any criteria.

10. I think it's best if you take your 18-55 with you. Then first take a photograph of a building at the opposite side of the street at 18 mm and compare it with the Sigma at about the same focal length at f/8. This lets you compare sharpness and distortion. I was surprised that the Sigma is sharper than my kit lens and has less distortion. You will also see if the sharpness is distributed equally. (There were reports of some Sigma copies which were sharp on one and soft on the other site.) If you have the time you can also scrutinize the Sigma image to search for soft spots.
    I further made a small series: one image each at 10, 15, 20 mm, first wide open, then at f/8, the optimal aperture - sharpness across the zoom range.
    With a final small series you might test the focus: a distance of 20 cm, 1 m and a distant object.
    Hopefully your dealer has a PC where you can upload your pictures and check them on a bigger screen than the camera offers.

Obviously the 10-20 is not perfect, here some observations:
    - The corners are soft but I found them to be better than I expected after having read many heated Internet discussions.
    - CA is a bit of a topic but Capture NX removes it nearly completely.
    - The color balance of 10-20 pictures has a red bias and I frequently correct the white balance in Capture NX, a quick fix if you use RAW.
    - Images tend to be a bit underexposed, I often use +0.3 to +0.7 EV.

All in all I am nevertheless very satisfied; I regret not having purchased it earlier.

11. Thanks Iotatau for all the guidance

12. Thanks everyone for the inputs and encouragement. Thanks to Iotatau for advising on testing before buying. I bought the lens today. I shot some pictures at various f/l and also wide open. These are the results. As you guys are experienced with this lens and have developed very critical eye towards the minutest details of the pictures shot with this lens, I want you to tell me whether I picked up a good copy.

10 mm,f/4.5, 1/1000

[​IMG]

12 mm, f/9, 1/320

DSC_0003.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

14 mm, f/10, 1/320

DSC_0004.jpg

18 mm,f/9, 1/320

DSC_0005.jpg

10 mm, f/4, 1/1000 wide open

DSC_0007.jpg

13. New Sigma 10-20 lens. Test shots, is the copy OK?

Oh I should have changed the caption. As the people have already guided me in the post with the old caption, they are not looking at this post apparently. I have posted the test shots. Is my copy ok to your very critical eyes?

14. They're fine. You have mastered the first fundamental of using the lens; that of holding it perpendicular to the ground. Many shooters aim it above or below the horizontal which distorts the image. However, in the the 10mm shots you have blown out the clouds quite a bit. Just experiment with the aperture, ev and shutter speed. That's the great hing about DSLRs...no developing costs!

15. Thanks Rich

There was limited scope for testing different modes in the store. It was very bright sunny afternoon with the sun blazing.

There is no AF/MF switch.Hence I could not try the manual mode

Is the sharpenes of the copy ok? How is the sharpness on the edges?

16. Thanks Eric for leading me to that wonderful thread and some excellent photos shot with this lens. That made me not think otherwise and get the lens

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  17. The samples look okay; but it's difficult to judge in extreme detail from an internet sized shot.

18. Great lens. Works well for me.

19. Thanks Rich. I agree with you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.