Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 released

Its been out for over a week now, i've been really looking forward to this lens since it was announced... doesn't seem to have generated that much hype though. I was actually surprised by the general lack of interest in it, i'm guessing everyone already has the old 10-20, the tokina, or the new nikkor.

Lenstip has some sample pics up
http://www.lenstip.com/1744-news-Sigma_10-20_mm_f_3.5_EX_DC_HSM_-_sample_shots.html

I had the old version until I walked away from it after setting it down on a photo hike:rolleyes:. Anyways, this new Sigma 10-20 3.5 looks great with a constant 3.5 F stop, UD glass and even some aspherical glass elements. Sure it's big and not cheap but I bet it is going to be killer sharp on the DX platform.

I changed lenses and was fooling around with the flash chimping with the D2h and changed position with another lens. Got focused on shooting and simply left it behind on the trail. By time I realized what I had done and went back, it was gone. Whoops. No insurance.
I did learn my lesson "always use Nikkor glass":biggrin:. Funny, I never lost one of those.

I was thinking about updating to this lens but the filter size is too darn big and would be a problem. Not worth the hassle when you can get the Tokina which is the right size and faster.

Aww, well that really sucks. Was it a well traveled trail with many people, or deep in the forest? You probably walked right past the culprit who swiped the lens that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about updating to this lens but the filter size is too darn big and would be a problem. Not worth the hassle when you can get the Tokina which is the right size and faster.

Indeed 82mm, is going to cost alot for the filter, but i'll guess that it will help with the vignetting

I much prefer to have one size filter for all lenses. Otherwise is is a real pain in the butt to carry multiple filters for mutiple lenses.

What filter do you really need for a lens this wide? I virtually never used a polarizer on my 10-20. ND perhaps? Filter size is a pretty lame argument for not getting a lens, if it otherwise fits what you need. It's wider and longer than the Tokina 11-16, and nearly as fast. It's faster than all the other DX WA competitors.

I wonder how it performs on FX. I know the old version was unusable unlike how great the Nikon DX wide angle zooms are on the long end.

It takes 82mm filters though! I considered this when I recently had a theft of my 10-20 and had to replace it but I opted to stick with the old style (with 77mm filters).

I am looking for a nice wide angle lens, and hopefully this will drive the price of the old 10-20 down to a point where I can afford it..

J

jeremyInMT

Not worth the hassle when you can get the Tokina which is the right size and faster.

Size would make a difference to me as well, but the "faster" part, if you're referring to the aperture, doesn't make a lot of difference to me on a lens this wide. It would be pretty hard to do much with depth of field with it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom