Sigma 105,150,180 HSM Macros

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by rsimms, Nov 20, 2005.

1. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Has anyone tried any of these lenses? I am in need of a macro lens (see my post is the For Sale forum), and am considering one these instead of the 105 AF 2.8 Micro Nikkor. I don't know anyone who has tried them and neither of my local dealers (Samys and Silvios) stocks the Sigma lenses... so I'm looking for opinions or samples. Any advice will be appreciated, as always thanks for looking.

2. Francis

Francis

May 7, 2005
    Belgium
    Here's the first shot I ever made with the Sigma 180 f/3.5, with build-in flash, picture taken at 8.30 PM.
    I had both Nikkors, the 60 mm and the 105 mm, I sold them both to buy the Sigma 180 and I'm very glad I did.:smile:

geranium.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I have the Sigma 150, and I'm very happy with it. The reason I chose it is the focal length/working distance, fast aperture, and HSM autofocus. I also like the fact that it's just big enough to have a tripod collar, since that makes using it with tripod and flash bracket more convenient. Optically it's very sharp wide open and super sharp stopped down. It also has nice bokeh; although it doesn't handle specular highlights quite as well as the 70-200vr, it does pretty well with them; and it really excels at the transition area between in-focus and out-of-focus. Where a lens like the 70-200vr can sometimes create some rather harsh line-doubling, the Sigma 150 doesn't. It does seem to start softening up from diffraction a bit by f/16, and the minimum aperture is only f/22. So if you are planning to do a lot of 1:1 shooting stopped all the way down for DOF, this might not be the lens for you. IMHO its strength is closeups as opposed to true macro, simply because the sweet spot seems to be the middle apertures. But that's what I use it for anyway, so it suits me just fine. It also makes a pretty nice medium telephoto prime, too.

Here are some samples I have posted:

http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/butterflies

4. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Thanks guys this is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.
    Oh and your shots are awesome!

Jeff, how is the Sigma with your D2x? Have you noticed any issues on the D2x that you did not see with the D70?

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    None at all, the lens is plenty good enough to hold up under the extra resolution of the D2x. Those butterfly shots were all taken with the D70, have been meaning to get back there since getting the D2x. But I do have a few Sigma 150 shots in my gallery from my very first weekend of owing the D2x:

original.

original.

6. I have the sigma 105 and like it a lot it's a very good value. Mine is the older version the new digital version is supposed to be even better. If I were looking now I think I would look at the Tamron 90 and 180 also. I see good images from both Sigma and Tamron, the Nikon 200 mm is 2nd to none but is a bit pricey.

7. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    I really like the Sigma 150 - makes a great fast telephoto as well, and I can't detect any quality loss with the 1.4x Sigma TC, either (for closeups *or* distance shooting.) It's a great 'carry to the zoo' setup.

8. My brother has the Sigma 105, and I've played around with it on my D70 a couple times. I'm quite impressed with it to be honest with you. I was going to go with the Nikkor 60mm 2.8 until I played around with the 105. My opinion is basised because I don't have experience with the other lenses you're looking at.

9. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Thanks for all the input. I convinced my local store to order the Sigma 150 and Tamron 90 (they already stock the Nikkor 105) so I'll get a chance to compare them all this weekend.