Sigma 105 f/2.8 Macro

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by DAVE VAN, Mar 1, 2005.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have been disappointed with this lens since I bought it. It seems very soft to me. Does anyone else here have this lens? I am wondering what your opinion is and if you might have any pointers to share. I am tempted to sell this lens as I never use it because of the results I get.

2. Hi Dave,

I don't own the Sigma 105mm but I try it out before setting down for the Tamron 90mm because it's a bit smaller and easier to focus manually (that's my opinion). In my tests, it appears to me that the Sigma is a sharp and constrasty lens even wide-open. Could it be that you have a bad sample?. Also, it's a macro lens so at close distances and large apertures, the DOF is very shallow (for example, at minimum working distance (about 2 inches from the front element, if my memory doesn't failed me) and f/3.5, the DOF is as thin as a hair).

Regards.

3. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Sigma

You are right about the depth of field at large apertures. I usually close the lens down quite a bit for a larger depth of field. Its possible I did get a bad copy. I got it used off of ebay about a year ago after reading all the rave reviews about it. I actually can get better results using my cheap non-macro Nikkor 70-210 f/4.-5.6D.
    I think its going on ebay this weekend. :(