1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 105 f/2.8 Macro

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by DAVE VAN, Mar 1, 2005.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have been disappointed with this lens since I bought it. It seems very soft to me. Does anyone else here have this lens? I am wondering what your opinion is and if you might have any pointers to share. I am tempted to sell this lens as I never use it because of the results I get.

2. Hi Dave,

I don't own the Sigma 105mm but I try it out before setting down for the Tamron 90mm because it's a bit smaller and easier to focus manually (that's my opinion). In my tests, it appears to me that the Sigma is a sharp and constrasty lens even wide-open. Could it be that you have a bad sample?. Also, it's a macro lens so at close distances and large apertures, the DOF is very shallow (for example, at minimum working distance (about 2 inches from the front element, if my memory doesn't failed me) and f/3.5, the DOF is as thin as a hair).

Regards.

3. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Sigma

You are right about the depth of field at large apertures. I usually close the lens down quite a bit for a larger depth of field. Its possible I did get a bad copy. I got it used off of ebay about a year ago after reading all the rave reviews about it. I actually can get better results using my cheap non-macro Nikkor 70-210 f/4.-5.6D.
    I think its going on ebay this weekend. :( 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.