Sigma 105 macro

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by fuss, May 21, 2007.

1. I have been looking at buying a quality Macro lens for a while now, and someone local to me has a non DG Sigma 105mm EX for sale that is around 5 years old in excellent shape. Any thought's as if this is worth looking in to or should I focus on a newer or new DG version?. I can pick it up for half what a new DG goes for.
    Any comments on the quality of the non-DG and if will work ok on my D50?

I have considered a lot of different Macro's latley as well as possibly a reverse adadpter or one of those canon lens filters and even ex tubes but I think a true macro may be the best way to go, do you agree?

Thx

2. You have to go way out of your way to get a bad macro lens! This one is a quite nice lens. DG is irrelevant from a functional perspective, at least on Nikon DSLRs - nobody I know has been able to show ANY improvement (or any change at all) from non-DG to DG models. Assuming that you have the AF model of this lens, it will be fully compatible with your D50.

3. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    DG only means a slight change in the coat of the rear lens element (and only that element). If you can get it for cheap then go for it, otherwise the Tamron 90mm is considered (just) superior.