Showcase Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens

Discussion in 'Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Mike's D50, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Mike's D50

Mike's D50

Jul 16, 2006
    Has anyone used this lens? I'm looking for an inexpensive alternative to macro (while not compromising on image quality). Has anyone used this lens? Is it sharp? Also can I use it for non-macro shooting? Thanks.

2. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I am not familiar with this lens. The Nikon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 does a pretty good job at macro, and is available for around $175 used.

3. great lens.... optically it is extremely sharp... great image quality

4. My buddy has one, very good lens overall and it is a macro lens capable of going to 1:1. But be careful as the F2.8 will only last from infinity to about 4-5 feet, then it will compensate down to about 5.6 or so at 1:1 as you focus closer.

5. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    I have one. It's a great lens:

HoverflyiiFramed.

DandelionSun.

6. Hi Mike,
    let me give you a "wider" answer... Whatever recent macro lens, from Nikkor 60 micro to Tamron 90 to Tokina 100 to Sigma 105 to Nikkor 105 (old / new) to Sigma 150 to Nikkor 200 are ALL superb lenses. You have only to decide by looking to:

1) your needings (longer or closer focusing depending on your subjects: flowers, insects and animals or both)
    2) your walet (200 F4 is quite expensive, also is Nikkor VR compared to the others)
    3) what you like more (handle them: build quality? compactness? no matter?)

you can't really go wrong with none of them.
    The only thing you HAVE to know is that ONLY the Nikkor 105 VR AND the SIGMA 150 HSM will keep the 2.8 aperture at closer focus, while all the others, due to their construction (with inner barrel extending out while focusing) will "slow down" to F/3, F/4, F/5 depending on the lens and the shooting environment; if in macro isn't that a problem (a too selective dof could be more a problem than a solution), you can think of it when using the lens for closer portraits, if you WANT F2.8 and you're really close to your subject it's not sure you could get it, so pay attention while choosing.
    Usually, as others said, you can get safely F2.8 until 1-2-3 meters from you: under that distance you will see the effective aperture stopping down.

7. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    I had this lens for my Canon system for a few years. I used it as a portrait lens and in that regard, it was excellent. Let me know if you want some example shots.

Bill

8. Hey Mart, those are great pics. Just out of curiousity, I notice you have only a signle speedlight, not a strobe. How did you light the pics, the dandelion especially? Natural sunlight? Other?

9. It's a sharp lens, but I don't like the bokeh. So I sold it.

10. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks you for the compliment Harry. The hoverfly was mainly natural sunlight with fill-flash from my SB-600 fitted with a stofen-style cup. The dandelion was using my single SB-600 again fitted with the stofen. On both pics the flash was camera mounted and bounced at 60 degrees. Oh and the dandelion was inside my light tent as I recall.

Hope this helps

11. Nope, the 105/2,8 VR is F/4,8 @ 1:1.

Just a correction. :wink:

12. Hi Paul,
    does it really go down to F4.8? I always heard of the contrary...

13. Yup, @ 1:1 it does. Iv used it over 8 months its the same as every other nikkor micro.

14. The Sigma 105 is a great lens I think. I have one and have got some good results with it. If I was buying I'd go with the 150mm personally as it allows you to get slightly further back from your subjects but the 105 given to me by a friend who upgraded to the 150 so it does just nicely for now.

15. patrickh41

patrickh41 Guest

I have the 105 Sigma and most of the lenses listed by Italy74. You cant go wrong with any of them - all are sharp and capable of great pictures. Personally I prefer the boke of the Tamron 90/2,5 and Vivitar S1 105/2.8.

16. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Sigma 105 is a great lens

for macro use...

17. Thanks, Mark, it does. I'm always interested when skill seem more in evidence than equipment.

18. Another thing, Mike.

Look here: a small ladybird, F/8 - 3mm in focus, maybe less.
    [​IMG]

and here, a wasp, F/16
    [​IMG]

A tiny cactus, F/5 - here autofocusing was useless, lost around all those small thorns..
    [​IMG]

A better luck shooting at F/3,8 (I guess the lens couldn't open more its aperture due to the very close distance)
    [​IMG]

What's the meaning? In my experience, using a larger aperture than F5,6/F8 means shooting at your own risk. That said, a macro lens will surely be the one where you will appreciate more manual focusing.