Sigma 12-24 on a D700/D3

I have an opportunity to pick one of these up for a good price and was wondering what the thoughts are about how this lens is with FF. I did a search and didn't find much on this lens here on the Cafe. As always, I appreciate the opinions and the feedback. I know that it is not constant like the 14-24, but I can't seem to find anything this wide in an affordable prime or zoom.

fks

hi brock-

it's not a bad lens, especially given the price. with the extreme wide angle, it's very prone to ghosting. the front element is a big glass dome, with no option to attach a filter without causing vignetting. best used stopped down to f/7.1 or higher, otherwise the corners wo't be that sharp.

several shots on the first page of this album were taken with the D3 and the sigma. it was one lens that i wanted to try on the D3.

i sold my 17-35mm AF-S and kept the sigma as i don't seem to be shooting in the wide range now that i have an FX body.

ricky

Thank you very much for the reply.

BTW - very interesting album, with some great perspectives of the city. Nice work:smile:

I owned this lens when I was in need of a wide angle on a crop body. I thought it was very well made and gave excellent results. Here's a shot I took with the Canon MKIII and Sigma 12-24:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Prior to the introduction of the Nikkor 14-24, I find the Sigma 12-24 to be the best of the ultra wide zooms for several reasons, chiefly it's rectilinearity, lack of CA, and no appreciable diffraction limitation (it can stopped waay down).

Thank you for the replies to this point. I did pick it up and hope to post some pics later in the week after my trip to Ohio. Mainly got it because of the lack of affordable options and the fact I have 30 days to put it to the test.

Thanks again.

I had this lens on film SLRs and it was fantastic, 12mm is incredibly wide and you'll be surprised how rectilinear it is, and how little distortion compared to almost every other ultrawide zoom.

I would definately get this again if I eventually get a FX DSLR.

I agree with all of the above, BUT I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned the flare problems. The major weakness of this lens is that it flares easily, and when it goes, it's HORRIBLE. You get a big long line of purplish spots, and they don't clone out easily. On film, shooting into the sun is hopeless, and it's often not much better on digital.

If you can avoid the flare, it's a very nice lens. In fact, I just picked up an F100 to make more use of it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom