Sigma 120-300 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by snownow, Jul 27, 2007.

1. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    So after tossing around the idea of this lens and an older nikon afs, I ended up ordering the 120-300 2.8. That's all fine and dandy, it will be here in a week or two..... But my next problem is what the heck am I going to hold it with. The head I have on my tripod and monopod does not even hold my 70-200 stable enough. So what are you using to hold large chunks of glass? Got a recommendation or a picture of you shooting?

2. Show us yours first and we'll show our later !:biggrin:

3. Arca Swiss B1 monoball. Works wonders for me.

4. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Let me post my sig and I'll tell you. I can't remember the model numbers...

5. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
  6. Full Wimberley, for sure. After getting mine, I do not know how I lived without it! I have it on a Bogen 3021Pro tripod.

Cheers
    Nancy

7. The gimbal mounts really make these larger lenses very easy use. I am using a Jobu Jr 2 gimbal mount with a Nikon 300 2.8 and the 7-200VR. It is very similar to the Wimberley sidekick and a good alternative if you do not already have a ballhead (which the sidekick needs). I don’t have any pictures of it that I can link to, but if you are interested I can show you what it looks like.

8. I use a Gitzo 1325 + Kirk BH-1 (and a Sidekick for moving subjects) for the 300 f2.8 + tc's (everything up to 400mm f3.5 + converters actually). At the max. focal lengths, vibration is a tough issue, and technique has to spot on, or shutter speeds have to be waaaayy fast. Its tougher than it seems, and you have to shoot a lot of images to get "the" shot.

9. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    Why? I'm not challenging you, rather I'm just curious as I thought with the Sidekick you just lock the ballhead in portrait orientation, negating the advantages of a good ballhead. Advantages like ability to stay in position with the stipulated maximum load (i.e doesn't slowly drop forward with heavy lenses) and smoothness when panning or tilting with it..

EDIT: I read that as 'good ballhead' for some reason. Please ignore my post :D

10. My keeper rate went up significantly when I got the Full Wimberley. I have seen too many folks struggleing a bit with the sidekick. I think it would be alright with a lighter lens setup, but the 300 2.8's and above and TC's are quite heavy and hard to balance. Yes, you still need good technique but the Wimberley sure makes it MUCH easier, especially at slower shutter speeds.

All the best
    Nancy

11. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Wonders of google, looks nice. I do have a ballhead as well.....

12. A sidekick will be fine - depending on the weight of the lens. I've got the same 300 AF 2.8 as Mason, use a Sidekick, TC, and the Arca Swiss B1. I get a pretty high keeper ratio. If you get the adjustments just right, it feels like an arcade game where you're on a ship shooting an anti-aircraft gun. I really like the setup.

13. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    That's the route I'm leaning, I did pick up a ball head yesterday, i need to look more before the lens arrives. Thanks for all the suggestions.

14. I hope you got a good one. the head is the key to smooth panning.

15. No problem!

I knew after using a gimbal that I wanted one, but I didn't have a ball head and wasn't interested in buying one just to be able to use a sidekick. I didn't mean to sound like I was pushing the Jubo product, either...sorry if I did...just wanted to plug the gimbal mounts again for longer glass.