Sigma 120-300 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sbutchin, Mar 2, 2005.

1. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    So i'm thinking of getting this to shoot ice hockey - i have the nikon 80-200 but when they get to either end of the rink (I'm usually in the penalty box) it just isn't cutting it. Do you think the extra 100 will do the trick? Anyone have this lens that can give me some insight? Thanks as always.

stephanie :)

2. With an f2.8 you can always add a TC 1.4 to it. I can't answer to the sharpness of the the Sigma lens but one thing to consider, once you have it on some of your closeup shots may suffer because the lens is too long. Wish I could be more help Stephanie.

3. Stephanie,

I'm seriously considering this lens too for sports. Since we're both from NJ perhaps we could buy one and share it. :D :wink:

I expect to shoot some hockey as well since my 8 year old son is starting to skate and wants to play hockey (I played in HS so I'm so happy he's interested).

As for the lens, I've heard mostly good things about it. I do know that it's very sharp with the 1.4 TC so there's a solid reach advantage for you over the 80-200 (although f4 is tough for indoor sports - hopefully the rink you shoot at is well lit or you have ceiling strobes). A few real good shooters at DPR own it (RSCary IIRC who has some nice soccer shots as an example and there was a guy who shot racing bikes as well). A search at DPR will yield plenty of reading. You can also check out sportsshooter.com if you haven't done that already.

My only hesitation with this lens is the likely price drop in the used market for the Nikon 300 2.8 AF-S II given the new VR. If I can grab a Nikon for the right price that would be my first choice.

Regards,

Joe

4. Ask Bill Dewey

Bill Dewey just got one, ask him he seemed imrosssed with it

andreas

5. Yes, I just picked one up a few weeks ago. Take a look at the shots in the Sports Forum and Animals of the Dog Agility. All shot with this lens. I'll post some later of Youth Lacrosse as well.

I hand-hold my 80-200 for a whole football game, the 120-300 I can hold for one shot :lol: , and that one will suck. This is most absolutely a Monopod lens.

Let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like to see anything specific shot-wise. Got mine from eBay, paid $1478 and gave the guy a $2 tip when I picked it up. Came with the Sigma 1.4x TC as well. Both the Sigma and my modified Nikon TC-14E work great with this lens, but my Sigma 500 won't AF with the Sigma TC, but it does with my Nikon. Go figure, eh?