Sigma 120-300 EX DG APO OS HSM ??

I decided to purchase a factory refurbished 120-300 EX DG APO OS HSM lens. Saved some money over a new one and quite a bit over the new model that is coming out.
The lens arrived yesterday. I took several indoor shots on a Nikon D3S and compared the sharpness, & auto-focus speed to my Sigma 100-300 f/4, mounted on my other D3S. From infinity to focus on an object 15' away the 120-300 was extremely slow, compared to the 100-300. I took about 10 shots. Then decided to switch cameras and shoot some outside. The 120-300 stopped auto-focusing. Swapped cameras again and still the auto-focus would not work. OS, manual focus worked fine. As I thought the auto-focus in the cameras shorted out. So I tried other lenses, no issues.
Have any of the 120-300 OS users out there experienced this?

PS: on the shots it did take the sharpness was outstanding as was the color.

Roger C. from Lens Rentals has fairly well documented the AF and electrical frustrations
of the last version. Less than 2 years out, it gets an upgrade: new casing/electronics/
much needed focus limiter/new hood/sexy new look and feel. Only the optics remain
the same (they were indeed excellent) Got my hands :Whistle: on a prototype copy at
an event last year...it's gonna be somethin' else, methinks. Another issue was
losing AF lock while zooming and having to reacquire :eek: this left a terrible
taste in my mouth and dismal keeper rate of ~80% on critical captures.
We parted ways and I've already pre-ordered. Fingers crossed! :wink:

Oh, when it was "on" it was awesome :biggrin:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Quite a few users have reported that very same problem with the 120-300 OS. I remember one guy sent his in, had it fixed under warranty and then had the AF system go down again right after he got it back. I think he asked for a whole new lens.

I didn't have any issues with mine but there were enough that the 120-300 OS was starting to get a reputation AFAIC. The good news (if any) was it always seemed to happen immediately and once one got thru the initial usage period of a few shoots the lens seemed to be very reliable.

Roger C. from Lens Rentals has fairly well documented the AF and electrical frustrations
of the last version. Less than 2 years out, it gets an upgrade: new casing/electronics/
much needed focus limiter/new hood/sexy new look and feel. Only the optics remain
the same (they were indeed excellent) Got my hands :Whistle: on a prototype copy at
an event last year...it's gonna be somethin' else, methinks. Another issue was
losing AF lock while zooming and having to reacquire :eek: this left a terrible
taste in my mouth and dismal keeper rate of ~80% on critical captures.
We parted ways and I've already pre-ordered. Fingers crossed! :wink:

Oh, when it was "on" it was awesome :biggrin:
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg31/rvrsbnd/D3R_5404_zps162191b6.jpg
I'm seriously considering getting the new Sport version, actually. You probably only had little time to play with but how do you think it compares with the previous version? Cheers

Will, that shot above is amazing.

I must say, I've been waiting for you to get your pre-order of the updated version to hear your impressions.

I am also waiting for Will's comments regarding the pending updated version. Also, and although there are obvious differences and distinct uses, I am interested in a comparison with the Nikon 80-400, at comparable distances, and also with the 1.4TC attached to the Siggy.

I'm seriously considering getting the new Sport version, actually. You probably only had little time to play with but how do you think it compares with the previous version? Cheers
I do not think Will can take a bad photo.. all his posted work is amazing!
Will, that shot above is amazing.

I must say, I've been waiting for you to get your pre-order of the updated version to hear your impressions.
I am also waiting for Will's comments regarding the pending updated version. Also, and although there are obvious differences and distinct uses, I am interested in a comparison with the Nikon 80-400, at comparable distances, and also with the 1.4TC attached to the Siggy.
Hi guys, been busy shootin' :wink: and haven't checked in w/ the Cafe in awhile....many thanks!
Got a bummer of an email noting ANOTHER delay in shipping the 120-300 :eek: I'm growin' a beard over here!! :biggrin:

I've been shooting 70-200mm VR2 on DX camera for last 2 years. I just upgraded to FX camera (D800), so I want this 120-300mm for the same FOV! Unfortunately, with the camera purchase, I won't be considering this lens until next year. Hopefully some reviews by then.

I can give a firsthand account of the focus issues with the last version of the 120-300 f2.8 HSM DG EX OS Sigma. I purchased one that was only a few months old from a local gent who was switching to Canon. The thing was as new as you'd ever find. He had already sent the lens to Sigma in New York for the issue where the lens stopped focusing when tilted upward. It worked great when I bought it and I used it for 2 shoots before it stopped focussing - manual and auto - the thing would not focus. Back to New York it went. They fixed it quick and here we are four months later and it stopped focusing again. This time I took it to a local authorized repair center because I wanted to show the tech what was happening. I had all the paperwork of the past services that he also reviewed. I received a call from them today that Sigma replaced the lens. I pick it up tomorrow and hope to give it some camera time this weekend. Hopefully this one will restore my faith in Sigma lenses. I will say their service has been simply fantastic and when this lens was working, it gave some great images.

Real Name
Randy
I'm tempted by the focal range and f/2.8 only. No way I'd buy another Sigma especially at the new price of this lens.
I had the non OS 120-300 and I liked it until I got a Nikon 300vr

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I meant to update the thread awhile ago, sorry. Received the lens back from Sigma about a week after they received it. The HSM was replaced. Lens works just fine now.

I have the first OS version and absolutely love the lens I traded my 70-200vrII for it and have no regrets.
Here are a some images from a Powwow I photographed. It was an indoor event with poor lighting, so all images were taken at 2.8, FL on all of the images was 300mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael, those are excellent shots. It speaks quite well for the lens provided it has an extremely competent professional behind the captures.

thanks guys, I really can't say enough about this lens, very sharp and focus is very accurate.

this was taken this weekend with speedlights and pocketwizards

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom