Sigma 120-300: OS vs Sports verions

Real Name
Randy
OS is now $2499
Sports is $3599

Is it worth the difference ?

I used to shoot a non OS, DG version and I liked it. I heard the OS version was noticeably better than the DG version I owned. I wonder if the Sports version is noticeably better than the OS and is optically any different. Is it just the ability to sit on the dock ?

Real Name
Leonidas KOUGIOUMTZIS
Optical are the same(os and s)...
They said that the os and s are better than DG version.
But the benefits of the dock is very attractive.

"Is it worth the difference ?"
I am not so sure.....

I think with the new sport version you also have the option of switching out the mount if you ever decide to switch brands! You also have the focus lock buttons and the focus limiter which should help in quicker focusing.

If the sport version drops below 3k, I'll probably pick one up!

OS is now $2499
Sports is $3599

Is it worth the difference ?

I used to shoot a non OS, DG version and I liked it. I heard the OS version was noticeably better than the DG version I owned. I wonder if the Sports version is noticeably better than the OS and is optically any different. Is it just the ability to sit on the dock ?
Have you seen these two articles from LensRentals?

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/06/sigma-120-300-f2-8-os-sport-part-1-features-and-optics
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/06/sigma-120-300-f2-8-part-ii-comparative-anatomy

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have the os version and its superb. Theres been the odd occassion that I would have liked a focus limiter however if theres no difference optically( its pin sharp so they'd do well to better it!) I'm at a loss as to why the new model is so much more? I've never plugged a lens in to computer yet and if I did I'd probably mess something up!

I havent tried it yet but with the USB dock there is the option to change the AF setting to a faster mode which is supposed to deliver a tangible difference.

Real Name
Randy
I have the os version and its superb. Theres been the odd occassion that I would have liked a focus limiter however if theres no difference optically( its pin sharp so they'd do well to better it!) I'm at a loss as to why the new model is so much more? I've never plugged a lens in to computer yet and if I did I'd probably mess something up!
my thoughts exactly

Real Name
Randy
I just ordered an OS version from Adorama (they gave a 2% cash back and B&H didn't)
I don't buy from b&h as much anymore. My preferred seller is photo craft but they ran out of the OS versions

I just ordered an OS version from Adorama (they gave a 2% cash back and B&H didn't)
I don't buy from b&h as much anymore. My preferred seller is photo craft but they ran out of the OS versions
You should check "Imaging resource". They compare OS and Sport versions. LZ.

Real Name
Randy
Didn't he say it's the most problem prone lens they have?
they actually bought my non os 120-300 5 years ago and told me latter it drove them nuts with repairs but the rental business is alot harder on lenses than and I am and 4 years (warranty) is a long time

Real Name
Randy

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom