Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 - Grey Mkt vs USA

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by koolk2, Mar 24, 2007.

1. koolk2

Sep 9, 2006
    I've been considering this lens for a while. I got the chance to handle one at PMA a couple of weeks ago. Based on this and some discussion with other sports shooters I'm going to get one. While looking at pricing I've discovered a 25% price difference between grey mkt and USA versions. Sigma4less sells the grey mkt lens for $2159. The USA version at B&H costs $2699. While I've bought and sold used camera equipment since the late 70's this is the most I've ever spent for one item. I'm not worried about focus problems as I would expect to find this immediately and sent it back to the retailer for another copy. I'm more concerned about oil on the aperture blades or HSM problems after the 1 year warranty expires on the grey mkt lens. A 3 year Mack Warranty cost $60, but has lots of exclusions.

I guess my question is: Is the USA version with its 4 year warranty worth an extra $500?
  2. get it at Sigma4less...
    I spoke with the person in charge of Sigma Service and as per Sigma they will
    repair, honor all warranties as long as you have original inovoice..

I know this from first hand experience as I had a 120-300 2.8 that went in for service...
    great customer service dept....
  3. barphoto

Jan 25, 2007
    I had the same dilema when I purchased my 120-300. I bought it from B&H and then heard about I was going to return the lens to B&H, but decided to check with Sigma first. According to Sigma, is not an "authorized" Sigma reseller and they sell gray market lens. Sigma will honor the 1 year warranty, with a sale receipt, on sigma4less purchases. The B&H lens comes with a 4 year warranty. For me it was worth the difference. I did purchase the uv filter and 2x tele from sigma4less and was very pleased with the speed of delivery.