1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 135-400mm?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by N_Addy, Jul 29, 2008.

1. N_Addy

N_Addy

Dec 16, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Any opinions about the Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG RF APO?

I've already got a 70-300VR but I'm looking for more reach without breaking the bank. Does the Sigma take a TC 1.4 or 1.7?

What other recommendations would you make for a wildlife lens? I'd love to have a Nikkor 300mm f/4 or Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 but even used those are a stretch at the moment. Would I be better off waiting for one of them over the Sigma?

2. N_Addy

N_Addy

Dec 16, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    No one has this lens? Maybe that tells me something.

3. I had a very decent copy of this lens but the AF speed and lack of stabilization were the reasons I sold it and got me a Nikon 80-400VR. Quality at 400 wide open was about the same between the Nikon and Sigma.

But when you want the 135-400 range I would now pick the new Sigma 120-400. The main advantage points are the HSM (focus speed) and OS (image stabilization). Search the forum for some threads about this lens or the new Sigma 150-500.

4. N_Addy

N_Addy

Dec 16, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Thanks Kees. 150 to 500, huh? That's definitely got my mouth watering. Appreciate the info!

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    another long lens that is cheaper is the tamron 200-500 that is pretty nice for the price, and I have several friends that use that lens. You can always consider a nikon 300 f4 Prime lens with converters for similar reach, good AF speed with good image quality.

6. Wade, I'm using the 300/4 AF-S and 1.7TC and I'm pleased with the results but sometimes I do miss the zoom the 80-400VR gave me. I do have the 70-200VR for the lower end but this gives a more heavy 2-lens solution instead of a single lens.

So I hope Nikon will come with the 80-400VR upgrade with AF-S. I would buy one without any doubt.

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    zooms are nice I agree, why I shoot with a 200-400 for the past 4 years.

8. Hmm, nice lens Wade but a bit out of my (price)league :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.