Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG is an underrated gem! (With Pics)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Stephen Hopkins, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Awhile back I replaced a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX-Pro DX due to lack of use and financial reasons. I picked up a new-in-box Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG for $200 on eBay not expecting much, just wanting to have something wider than 28mm of my normal zoom. My lowered expectations have turned in to me being VERY impressed with this lens! Its build quality is VERY impressive, matching the Tokina (except for the lens cap) though the Sigma EX rubberized coating may not hold up as well. Sharpness and color-rendition are also spot-on. It has really re-sparked my interest in wide-angle photography. My only gripe is pretty minor, a decent bit of flare w/ the sun or light-source outside but near the edge of photos.

Posted below are some pictures taken of my new home and around the neighborhood (with a few from my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX D and of Epcot, my crazy puppy). These are my first image posts here (I'm prone to becoming more interested in the gear than the images).

15mm, f/13, 1/500 sec.

[​IMG]

15mm, f/3.5. 1/1000 sec.

[​IMG]

19mm, f/11, 1/500 sec.

[​IMG]

15mm, f/10, 1/400 sec.

[​IMG]

15mm, f/9, 1/320 sec.

[​IMG]

200mm, f/4.5, 1/1250 sec.

[​IMG]

70mm, f/2.8, 1/250 sec.

[​IMG]

70mm, f/2.8, 1/250 sec.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007
  2. Nice! The colors are especially good - are these straight out of the camera?

3. In-camera JPEGs + auto-levels and borders... I was really happy w/ the 15-30mm colors, especially the grater tire. At first I thought the 70-200mm colors were a bit dull until I realized my yard actually looks that bad right now...

4. I'm guessing the thread title makes it sound more like a review but I was hoping to get some more critique on my shots!

Thanks!

5. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I think your shots are great. The 15-30 sigma is a great little lens as you've shown here. You seem to have a good artistic eye for shooting subjects (like the mailbox with the house OOF and the tractor tire in front of the field). You have a cute puppy as well and reminds me of a dog we used to have. Try not to focus too much on the equipment, but keep your eye on the pictures...that's where it's really at.

Oh, and keep posting pictures!

6. Ok, I'll bite. All of the shots are great, but I especially enjoy the tractor? tire and the Flag. The composition on those caught my eye. As Brian stated, the colors are just specatacular.

7. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Nice shots. I had the 15-30 myself. It is an excellent lens, I started using my hat to shade it to avoid flare. Eventually I decided I needed a WA that I could use regular filters with so I moved on.

8. The mailbox and tractor (actually a roller/compactor) tire were my favorites. I was suprised at how well the colors came out on the tire. With the mailbox it was hard to keep it in sharp enough focus (you can see the box numbers sharpness trailing off) while getting the house/background out of focus. I was a bit disapointed in the colors from the 70-200mm (flag and pup) but the sun was also creeping down as those were taken and the back-yard was completely in shade.

James,

Did you ever try leaving the cap-holder on the 15-30mm to help with flare? I'm guessing it wouldn't help too much but might be worth a shot. I might also try making some kind of extended hood out of black construction paper but it'll take some experimentation to keep it from vignetting or even being in frame at 15mm.

9. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Yes, and good guess. I don't claim to have any good answers, it was my first truely wide lens so I had a lot to learn. Keep experimenting (and posting) and you'll quickly find what works best for you.