1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 15-30mm with Samples

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ultimind, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I got my new 15-30mm today, and while there's not much to photograph at work, I am already impressed by how sharp this lens is. All of the following are wide open. I can post full-res if anyone wants to pixel peep. But this is a sharp one.

This lens is officially discontinued according to Sigma's latest product catalog and their website. Whatever stock is out there is all that's left of new copies!

Just a tad output sharpen in Lightroom and some color tweak.

This is at 15mm F3.5:
    [​IMG]

This is at 30mm F4.5:
    [​IMG]

This is at 15mm F3.5:
    [​IMG]

This is at 15mm F3.5:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  2. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    WOW this lens does a great job! How much did you pay for it?

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    It'll range from $180 on eBay up to about $290 (used) on KEH. Mike gave me a great price right in the middle of that range for a wonderfully sharp and clean copy.

Cameta at one point was selling it brand new for $239, but that deal has since faded away. There's some brand new on eBay that sell for well over $300.

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Wow, very nice, David! I am impressed. I've always heard that was a sharp lens but never saw too many images. Looks like that sucker focuses pretty close? Attractive feature if it does :smile:. Does it allow filters?

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    It does allow 82mm filters through the use of a rather odd lens cap. There's a flower-shaped hood that's permanently attached, but there's an aluminum cap that fits over top of that (doesn't cause any vignetting problems on DX... will try on film later tonight) that the Sigma front cap clips into and I believe has 82mm threads on it.

And yes... it focuses VERY close. The lowest indicated focus mark is 0.3m (1ft) but it appears to go beyond that even.

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    That filter situation sure is weird. But everything else about this lens seems to rock. And yet another reason why I like Sigmas - tons of their lenses have super close focusing. Hmm there is one of these for sale in another forum for $250!

7. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Here's a sample with the SB400 (with a business card bounce):
    30mm F4.5 (SB400):
    [​IMG]

8. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Here is a rather pretty looking flare (in my opinion!):

30mm F4.5, just a little black crush and WB shift in Lightroom:
    [​IMG]

9. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Some morning flag (non)action:

15mm F3.5:
    [​IMG]

10. bought this lens to use on my d700, absolutely great IQ, the added hood cannot be used with FX as it vignettes below 18mm... rear holder holds gel filters which is how I will use ND filters..

I like the flare on that flower shot...nicely done...

11. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks Michael! If you have any stellar examples of this lens on Full Frame, I know myself and others would love to see them. :smile:

Pending good weather, I'll be taking mine out this weekend with the F100. :biggrin:

12. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Another flower shot from this morning.

15mm F3.5:
    [​IMG]

13. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    15mm F3.5:
    [​IMG]

14. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    20mm F3.8:
    [​IMG]

15. I think you've taken more nice shots with this lens over the few days you've had it than I did in the months that I had it!

I'm glad it found a good home David.

16. I think it's a good landscape lens. Sharp as heck!

17. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Johnathan - I think you need one of these guys for your D3. :biggrin:

18. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Mike - It's even more awesome than I thought it would be. :biggrin:

19. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    David. You need to stop posting images. I am becoming more and more impressed.

20. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Get one quick! It's already rather difficult to acquire one except on fleabay. I got a roll of Fuji Reala 100 back from the lab today shot with this lens. The lab only gave me crappy Fuji Frontier scans, so I'll get a couple better scans once I get home.

There's some mild vignetting wide open at 15mm on full frame, but I didn't expect perfection. I rather like the mild corner darkness. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.