Sigma 150 2.8 for Portraits?

Anyone using this lens for portraits? Ever since selling my 105 F2 DC and 85 1.4 several years ago, I’ve been thinking about a new portrait lens instead of using my zooms. The Sigma 150mm seems to have very little CA, good bokeh, great sharpness. The 150mm is a bit long, but I’m pretty intolerant of CA and my old 85 and 105 exhibited it and a recent new sample of the 105 I tested from a local dealer had it as well – even with the D3 processing. Any thoughts or alternatives?

It's a little long for your crop sensor but otherwise should be good I'd think.

D

drjiveturkey

Are you talking about the 150 2.8 Macro?. I've used the Canon mount version. The lens is very sharp but the color tone was slightly warm and Auto Focus was REALLY slow. I don't think it has any advantage over your 70-200 2.8 VR other than being able to focus closer.

I think if you are going to use a prime, get another 85 1.4 or 135 f/2

Are you talking about the 150 2.8 Macro?. I've used the Canon mount version. The lens is very sharp but the color tone was slightly warm and Auto Focus was REALLY slow. I don't think it has any advantage over your 70-200 2.8 VR other than being able to focus closer.

I think if you are going to use a prime, get another 85 1.4 or 135 f/2

Yes. I was thinking about the 150 2.8 macro, the slow AF would be a problem since although I want it mainly for portraits, all of my lenses eventually see duty for amateur sport events. Maybe I'll take another look at the 135 f/2, my local dealer has one in stock.

Paul

Real Name
Randy
Yes. I was thinking about the 150 2.8 macro, the slow AF would be a problem since although I want it mainly for portraits, all of my lenses eventually see duty for amateur sport events. Maybe I'll take another look at the 135 f/2, my local dealer has one in stock.

Paul

the 150 2.8 is hsm and AF-s as fast as an AFS lens

Well, I'm off to the dealer this evening. They have both the Nikon 135 f/2 and the Sigma in stock, so I'll have a chance to compare. I'm sure I'll come home with less money in the checking account :)

Real Name
Randy
Well, I'm off to the dealer this evening. They have both the Nikon 135 f/2 and the Sigma in stock, so I'll have a chance to compare. I'm sure I'll come home with less money in the checking account :)

glad we were able to help spend your money for you....
some vicarious fun for a slow afternoon (altho UPS just arrived with more toys)

I agree with Randy. It is quite fast and quiet, at least on my D300.

Glad to hear that.
I've always been intrigued by this lens, but never clicked the Buy button because of occasional user reports of AF hunting and AF slowness.
Has anyone tried using the 150 for indoor sports?

Glad to hear that.
I've always been intrigued by this lens, but never clicked the Buy button because of occasional user reports of AF hunting and AF slowness.
Has anyone tried using the 150 for indoor sports?

I haven't used it for indoor sports yet, but for outdoors sports it performs admirably, and it tracks very well on a D300, especially when the limiter is used. It's really an extremely versatile lens :Love: Mine needs a +14 AF adjustment though on the D300.

Edit: it works very well for portraits too!!!

Real Name
Randy
I haven't used it for indoor sports yet, but for outdoors sports it performs admirably, and it tracks very well on a D300, especially when the limiter is used. It's really an extremely versatile lens :Love: Mine needs a +14 AF adjustment though on the D300.

Edit: it works very well for portraits too!!!

i have never touched the af adjustment on the d3 or d300 for any lens...how did u determine it needed an adjustment ?
Mine AF's perfectly on the d300...it has issues on the d3 but they are that it won't af at all sometimes (and it just got back from sigma)

D

drjiveturkey

Hopefully that's the case. I've never used the Nikon mount, but Canon's mount also has HSM and it was noticeably slower than my other lenses. Then again all of my other lenses were USM and designed for speed.

Haven't used the lens much yet, just a few test shots. Very pleased with this grab when my son stopped running for a second between test shots on a rose bud:

Sigma_150_Macro_T2_Portraitw_01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Randy
Haven't used the lens much yet, just a few test shots. Very pleased with this grab when my son stopped running for a second between test shots on a rose bud:

chk where the focus pt was on this shot (in NX)

chk where the focus pt was on this shot (in NX)

Focus was on his right eye. Why? Did you notice something?

150_focus_pt.jpg

150_focus_pt_crop.jpg

Real Name
Randy
Focus was on his right eye. Why? Did you notice something?

150_focus_pt.jpg

150_focus_pt_crop.jpg

i thought it was on his forhead because his hair was so sharp but now I don't see it that way.....musta been my eyes....nice shot and handsome boy

Whatcha get???? 135 or 150???

Whatcha get? Whatcha get? I love my 150 for everything from macro to portrait to my kids playing on the playground. I have been thinking of the 135f2 for some time now, but just can't seem to get the "right" motivation....

i have never touched the af adjustment on the d3 or d300 for any lens...how did u determine it needed an adjustment ?
Mine AF's perfectly on the d300...it has issues on the d3 but they are that it won't af at all sometimes (and it just got back from sigma)

A more than obvious front focus at f/2.8 :frown:

I examined the needed adjustment by taking photo's of different subjects and trying different settings. Even moon photo's at f/2.8 were plain soft without adjustment.

None of my Nikkors need adjustment on my D300 either. (Except the notorious 200XXX 200/2VR backfocus which was adjusted exactly a year ago)

Joe, I just love this shot!! I know I commented on it before, but this portrait is just striking. Your son will likely cherish this one later on.

I've used my 150 for portraits pretty successfully as well.
I don't know that it really feels AFS fast when it's focusing (it's still a macro lens) but with the limiter on I've never really had a complaint about auto focus speed. It's a really well made lens and I'm glad that I've got mine.

Latest threads

Top Bottom