1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 150-500 2 Test shots

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Pastorbbc, Jul 18, 2008.

1. I just got this lens last night. Just a couple of test shots. Both are wide open at 500mm. 1st shot is about 50 or 60 yards away. 2nd shot is about 70 yards. Handheld at 800 ISO. Some PP and sharpening but no crops. Shots are decent but I'm not sure the lens is a keeper.

2680753934_e1c8ea613f_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 223485

2. Anything in particular?

3. well those 2 shots show almost nothing in regards to the lens IQ

4. well, it showed me that the lens is pretty soft wide open. The reasons I'm not certain I'll keep the lens are that it does seems too soft wide open, even in bright light and at high shutter speeds it is not what I was hoping for, the OS is noisy and the AF is just OK. I was not expecting a Nikon 200-400 IQ and these my not be the best examples -- but the best I can say is that other images I've taken are just OK. These two actually show more sharpness than others. I know, I know -- it could be me and not the lens. Just thought some might want to see a couple of shots from the new lens.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2008
  5. Are these at 500?

I know when I had a Nikon 500 AF-I, my shots suffered significantly because I was not on the sturdiest of tripods and I was not using the best long lens tripod technique even at the highest of speeds. After I resolved those(or got much better) then my pictures started being sharp. Might be this or it might be the lens. I would do some better testing of the lens though before I discount it.

6. Looks soft to me as well. Are these hand held?

7. RayLarson

RayLarson

Mar 27, 2007
    Pawtucket, RI
    I have had this lens for about a month and I find it sharp and a joy to use. This was taken last night at McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket, RI under marginal light with a D80 and a sigma 150-500 OS lens on a monopod.

2681709237_57f0990778_b.jpg

Shot was at f6 1/1000

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2008
  8. Yes, mine were handheld -- I've not tried it with a monopod or a tripod. I'm sure it would make all the difference. Do you use OS with the monopod?

9. RayLarson

RayLarson

Mar 27, 2007
    Pawtucket, RI
    I use OS with the monopod, however this shot was at 500mm hand held

2639074273_88b2b44f9b_b.jpg

10. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    did you calibrate the lens with your d300?

The hydrant dosent look in focus to me

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.