Sigma 150-500 2 Test shots

I just got this lens last night. Just a couple of test shots. Both are wide open at 500mm. 1st shot is about 50 or 60 yards away. 2nd shot is about 70 yards. Handheld at 800 ISO. Some PP and sharpening but no crops. Shots are decent but I'm not sure the lens is a keeper.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 223485

well, it showed me that the lens is pretty soft wide open. The reasons I'm not certain I'll keep the lens are that it does seems too soft wide open, even in bright light and at high shutter speeds it is not what I was hoping for, the OS is noisy and the AF is just OK. I was not expecting a Nikon 200-400 IQ and these my not be the best examples -- but the best I can say is that other images I've taken are just OK. These two actually show more sharpness than others. I know, I know -- it could be me and not the lens. Just thought some might want to see a couple of shots from the new lens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these at 500?

I know when I had a Nikon 500 AF-I, my shots suffered significantly because I was not on the sturdiest of tripods and I was not using the best long lens tripod technique even at the highest of speeds. After I resolved those(or got much better) then my pictures started being sharp. Might be this or it might be the lens. I would do some better testing of the lens though before I discount it.

I have had this lens for about a month and I find it sharp and a joy to use. This was taken last night at McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket, RI under marginal light with a D80 and a sigma 150-500 OS lens on a monopod.

Shot was at f6 1/1000

Last edited by a moderator:
I use OS with the monopod, however this shot was at 500mm hand held

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom