sigma 150-500

hey guys

anyone have any views on the sigma 150-500?

im wanting a budget zoom for garden birds and general wildlife :)

thanx

steven

I've considered these long ago when I wanted more reach for wildlife.
Reviews were favourable but you really need to get a feel for it before buying it.
If you have a local mom&pops that lets you test out lenses, give that a shot.
For a budget zoom though the Nikon 70-300 is just as good, if not better @ 300mm.

I have one :)
Autofocus is fast, OS is great!!! Sigma surely did something right in that department.
The lens itself feels heavy and sturdy enough.
Up till 400mm it gives very good IQ and color rendition, well to my eyes anyway, and up to 500mm it is very acceptable. Stopped down a notch it gives better results of course.
Seems to perform a lot better (on higher FLs) on FX than on DX though.
One thing is for sure: For the price, it IS a bargain.
If you shoot at this FL more often or you need it for professional reasons, I'm sure a Nikon lens would be more suitable and will be better, no doubt.

what about IQ between the 50-500 and 150-500? I have read from time to time that the 50-500 has superior IQ, can anyone confirm this or have experience with these 2 lens?

what about IQ between the 50-500 and 150-500? I have read from time to time that the 50-500 has superior IQ, can anyone confirm this or have experience with these 2 lens?
I had read this somewhere as well, long ago. This was why I ended up with the 50-500 OS Bigma. It's a good lens for the $ and has very good AF and OS, the IQ is very good at 400m but falls off slightly at 500mm. It is big and heavy, but most good long lens are. I can't say how it compares with the 150-500.

I just got the new Nikon AFS 80-400 VR and did some quick tests @ 400mm. The Nikon is sharper and the AF seemed quicker (although the Bigma AF is very good). The new Nikon VR is something else though, I can shoot handheld @ 400mm and get pretty good images, something I can't do consistantly with the Bigma. The Bigma isn't bad, the Nikon is that good, better than any VR or OS I have used.

Real Name
Paul
hey guys

anyone have any views on the sigma 150-500?

im wanting a budget zoom for garden birds and general wildlife :)

thanx

steven
I've considered these long ago when I wanted more reach for wildlife.
Reviews were favourable but you really need to get a feel for it before buying it.
If you have a local mom&pops that lets you test out lenses, give that a shot.
For a budget zoom though the Nikon 70-300 is just as good, if not better @ 300mm.
I'm dealing with the same question. I've tried one out at a local shop; the photos I took are "okay" but something is holding me back. They just didn't seem as sharp as images I've found on the web with my camera - D7000.

I had one and just didn't like the results. Sold it and upgraded to a Nikon 200-400 and was very happy I did.

IQ after 400 is poor. Didn't like the feel of the images even at shorter focal lengths. I suppose it is that f/6.3 or whatever it is when wide open that I didn't really care for.

It is quite light and small compared to any other 500mm you will find so that is a plus. Easy to hand hold.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks for the comments, here in north of england we are limited to camera shops to try stuff out :-(

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom