Showcase Sigma 150-600mm

Looking at the measurements I dont think one could balance the lens on a gimbal however it is probably a good option if all you were going to add is a arca swiss lens plate.

What is the overall length of the Sigma TS-81?

I have not had a chance to calibrate the lens but I was curious about the difference in sharpness with and without the 1.4x EX TC.

Pictures were taken at different times so lighting was variable. I set the shutter to 1/1250 and auto iso. The exif is included in the pics. I'm guessing target is about 125'

I'm not thrilled with the initial sharpness but that may just be me as I'm having difficulty with sway on the monopod....more practice and calibration is in order.

600mm(900 with DX) f6.3 iso 1250

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

850mm (1275 with TC and DX) f9, iso 2000

I went with the Kirk plate, $55 and plenty long enough to use with a gimbal mount. Can't see where Sigma gets their price, maybe they think they are Nikon??

Thinktank Glass Taxi (ebay used) and the lens (hood reversed) with D7100 mounted and grip in a pocket. I could mount the grip if I turn the camera around but then the top of the camera will extend beyond the sides of the bag and I think it would be susceptible to bumps and bruises.

To carry the lens with the hoot installed would require the Thinktank Glass Limo which is a much taller bag.

So I just returned my Sport and got another from Amazon. They were good enough to allow me to return it after the 30 day window. I took it to my granddaughter's field hockey game and was disappointed with the results. Nothing was crisp and I took about 200 shots.

I posted in the sports forum that I needed help worried that it was me and not the lens. I did some further backyard testing and I felt that the lens just was not right.

The replacement lens came in today and to my eye is better, I even took a hand held shot of the birdhouse I posted in my earlier posts and even it looks much better than the monopod shots above. I think I'm now happy with the lens though I will use my new 30 day return period to do some real life testing...hopefully another fame and some animals.

This is the THIRD Sigma lens I've returned recently, the other two were Art lenses and all of the replacements were better than the originals and the 20mm Art had something funky going on with it as it was leaking light.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just returned my Sport and got another from Amazon. They were good enough to allow me to return it after the 30 day window. I took it to my granddaughter's field hockey game and was disappointed with the results. Nothing was crisp and I took about 200 shots.

I posted in the sports forum that I needed help worried that it was me and not the lens. I did some further backyard testing and I felt that the lens just was not right.

The replacement lens came in today and to my eye is better, I even took a hand held shot of the birdhouse I posted in my earlier posts and even it looks much better than the monopod shots above. I think I'm now happy with the lens though I will use my new 30 day return period to do some real life testing...hopefully another fame and some animals.

This is the THIRD Sigma lens I've returned recently, the other two were Art lenses and all of the replacements were better than the originals and the 20mm Art had something funky going on with it as it was leaking light.
that sounds like the old sigma company

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my Jobu foot from B&H. Took 3 weeks to special order it. $128 shipped which is half the cost of the Sigma foot. I hope to try it out tomorrow at a field hockey game.

It definitely makes it easier to hold the lens and it should be long enough to get a good balance on my gimbal and ball heads.

I almost went for that one but I felt that it wasn't long enough to get perfect balance on a gimbal so I decided on the Jobu simply for that reason.

order placed... thought to get off the fence and get on with it... (have found a ball head useful with this combo, but always preferred the way my Gimbal works)...

This lens is problematic on any support because of the weight shift as you zoom to 600mm. The worst is a ball head followed by a monopod. A gimbal is best but still weird.

For me, even at 65 and with a bad back, this lens rocks HH when I push/pull the zoom

This lens is problematic on any support because of the weight shift as you zoom to 600mm. The worst is a ball head followed by a monopod. A gimbal is best but still weird.

For me, even at 65 and with a bad back, this lens rocks HH when I push/pull the zoom
I considered returning mine and getting something lighter but the push/pull zoom feature is why I kept it.

I do use it on a monopod with a ball head and find that with the Jobu foot the balance on a monopod is fine. I saw a Youtube where the guy suggests using the ball head at 90° in the slot which puts the camera and lens on the side of the monopod. I found that gives better up/down support and control but I had issues with stabilizing it horizontally....might be better with some practise.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom