Sigma 150mm f/2.8 APO EX DG Macro HSM

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by mnscott, Jul 3, 2008.

1. After posting questions about this and other macro lenses, I followed the advice of many here and bought the Sigma 150 macro. So far, I couldn't be happier with the choice. So to all who recommended this 150 macro, a sincere thanks! Beautiful lens - very sharp, excellent color and contrast, and nice bokeh. Even the tripod collar is good! Here are a couple of examples shot today. Not exactly art (I should have photographed some of the mosquitos that were feasting at my expense!!), but they sure show that the lens is every bit as good as many said it was.

99634207.gif

View attachment 220948

2. YEKCIM

YEKCIM

Jul 27, 2007
    Alabama
    Congratulations on the 150 acquisition. Fine first shots, too. I'm loving mine and know you will love yours, as well. A wonderful dual-purpose lens.

~Ed

3. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    Mine should be here 7/9.

4. Thanks Ed. Yeah, haven't found much to not like about this lens so far. Bet it'll make a nice portrait lens, too.

5. From what I've seen so far, I'd guess you'll love it!

6. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i forgot it had a collar (i must have taken it off)
    it's my last sigma and I've decided to keep it (i was hoping the 300/4 on the d3 would be better, but it's not)

7. Good for you! I love my 150mm!

8. Looks like you made a good choice and nice start with it. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos.

9. I can see where it'd be easy to take the collar off and forget about it. So far, I've left mine on, but that probably won't last.

Sorry to hear about your 300/4, Randy. Guess it's not surprising that some lenses might not fare well with that sensor, but it still sucks.

10. Yep, I can't wait to shoot some more with it! Next outing, I'll remember the mosquito repellent! :Curved:

11. Thanks Tom - sure is a fun lens!

12. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i meant better than the 150 on the d3 for macros
    the 300/4 + TC is awesome on the D3, just not better than the 150

13. Ok, well that's better news. I only have DX sensor bodies (D300 and D200). The 150 seems to be incredibly sharp on the D300.

Sigma puts out some good stuff. I also have a 10-20mm zoom that's really nice. That, and the 150, are the only Sigma's I've owned so far.

14. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    you got the best 2 for sure
    I've had alot and sold alot
    Just sold a 10-20 to get ready for a 14-24

15. We seem to be on the same track - I've been thinking my next move might be the 14-24 too! Makes more sense on a FX I suppose, but it would compliment my 24-70 nicely. Sure is a big honker, though!

First things first though - I gotta get some more use out of this 150 before I consider another lens purchase. :Curved: