Sigma 150mm Macro and D80 error

Has anyone had this error with the sigma 150mm.

I get a low battery flashing error, even when the battery is fully charged. It consistently happens when the lens searches for focus a few times. The camera stays locked for a few seconds and then the low battery stops flashing. At that point i just press the shutter release half way and the error goes away, and the camera works normally again.

The lens was purchased from a local store new, but i found out it has been sitting on the store shelf for about a year and a half(which Sigma canada(Gentec) confirmed)

I have a D80 with the original firmware.

Up to now my 70-300 VR has never had this problem.

It have unmount/mount the lens a number of times but still get the error when the lens searches.

P

PossumCorner

Have only used this lens on the D70 and without any problem. Thanks for the info re use with the D80 (and the info thread link): I'll try it on the D80 over the next week or so and be sure to have a fresh battery.

Thanks Anthony.

Is that welcome to nikoncafe club or the D80 error club :)

I also have found this link.
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID236/1843.html

I have the chance to return the lens for another. Don't know if this will make any difference.

Have you had the opportunity to try a different 70-200, and did the problem still happen.

I have also cleaned the contacts and no luck.
Nothing wrong with the lens it your camera. It only happens on my D200, attach the Sigma 150mm to my D70 and everything is fine.

Anthony

Nothing wrong with the lens it your camera. It only happens on my D200, attach the Sigma 150mm to my D70 and everything is fine.

Anthony
My camera is still under warranty. So I guess I will send it in for service. Bummer, bad time of year. I am hoping nikon Canada knows about this, so I don't spend months sending it back and forth....

Any suggestions on what to tell nikon, besides pointing out the various threads with people having this problem.

I would be interested in your D200 final solution.

My camera is still under warranty. So I guess I will send it in for service. Bummer, bad time of year. I am hoping nikon Canada knows about this, so I don't spend months sending it back and forth....

Any suggestions on what to tell nikon, besides pointing out the various threads with people having this problem.

I would be interested in your D200 final solution.
Before you send it in take a shot of the icon that shows the dead battery icon, turn the camera off and on and take a shot of the fully charged battery icon right a way. Burn the shots on a CD and send it along with the camera this way you have photographic proof that you have a problem. Doing this Nikon can't say that they can't duplicate the problem. Also, you may NOT want to mention to Nikon that this only happens with the Sigma lens because Nikon doesn't support Sigma lens.

Anthony

I used to get this with a sigma 100-300mm f4 (non DG)...brought it used from a reputable dealer here in UK who seemed convinced it was my camera!.. I returned the lens and went on to purchase a dg version one from ebay and had no low battery or error icons since!..I watched the dealers website for a couple of months as they stuck the lens back on the shelf immediately..after about 8 weeks I noticed that they added this to the advert " Lens has been returned to sigma and re chipped"..which they told me it didn't need doing!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom